SOUTH JORDAN — Police arrested a man they say brandished a handgun while robbing a South Jordan Wal-Mart.
About 8 p.m. on Monday, a man — later identified as 37-year-old Dennis Monard — entered a Wal-Mart at 11328 S. Jordan Gateway. Monard loaded a cart with merchandise, walked past the registers and began exiting the store without paying, according to South Jordan police officer Samuel Winkler.
The man was stopped by a security guard and a small struggle ensued, during which the man pulled out a semiautomatic handgun, according to police. The security guard backed off, and the man "ran out with the gun clearly visible through a crowd of people," Winkler said.
A description of the man was released and several people later called 911 identifying Monard as he returned to his West Valley home. Police surrounded the home and placed K-9 units in the backyard.
"Mr. Monard saw police in the front yard and tried running out the back," Winkler said. "When he saw the K-9s, he stopped and gave himself up."
Monard was booked into the Salt Lake County Adult Detention Center Wednesday evening for investigation of aggravated robbery and possession of a firearm by a restricted person.
A search of court records indicates Monard has pleaded guilty to several felony charges dating back to 1998, including receiving or transferring a stolen vehicle and escaping from custody. He also pleaded guilty to attempting to discharge a firearm from a vehicle in 1995.
Police were also investigating Monard's involvement with other ongoing cases, Winkler said.
The West Valley, Sandy and Unified police departments, as well as Adult Probation and Parole, assisted with the search for Monard.
"These partnerships between the Salt Lake Valley law enforcement agencies and the citizens of Salt Lake County is what enables law enforcement officials to remove dangerous criminals from committing violent acts against fellow citizens in a timely manner," Winkler said.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: MorganEJacobsen
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Roy home destroyed in fire
- Man shot by roommate in Holladay, police say
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 12
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8
- Brother, sister hugged each other as... 8
- Prosecutors say Jeremy Johnson should... 7
- Audit of embattled S.L. County... 7