SALT LAKE CITY — A man was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail Tuesday after police say he held his girlfriend against her will for four days.
William Chaney, 53, is accused of keeping her inside his RV at a truck stop near 2000 South and 200 West since July 25.
"He wouldn't let her go, kept her against her will for about four days,” Salt Lake police detective Veronica Montoya said.
Chaney threatened and abused the woman to keep her from leaving, and stole her cellphone so she couldn’t call for help, according to detectives.
On July 28, she was able to leave the RV, but Chaney found her, a police affidavit states. He allegedly kicked her in the jaw, causing a tooth to become loose. Then on July 29, he cut her left pinky, police say.
“At one point, he actually decided to drop her off at the hospital so she could get medical help,” Montoya said. The cut required stitches.
Police say that was the first time they heard about the abuse.
When they went to the RV Park, Chaney was gone. Officers found him on the other side of town near 2100 South and 200 East.
He was arrested for investigation of aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping, domestic assault, theft, mayhem and other charges.
This isn’t Chaney’s first run-in with the law. In 1996, Chaney was charged with attempted homicide in the shooting of his wife in their Rose Park home. During that incident, police say he threatened to kill the woman and himself when police surrounded the house. The standoff ended when Chaney was shot by a SWAT officer. He was convicted of attempted murder and served a 10-year sentence with parole.
In 2009, police say Chaney led them on a chase in Salt Lake City. Officers eventually stopped him on the interstate. Chaney's ex-girlfriend told officers that if the man was going to kill himself, he'd want to force an officer into a situation where he or she would use lethal force against him.
Contributing: Viviane Vo-Duc
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Weber County deputies investigating possible...
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy shine...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Photos: Here comes the sun
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 33
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 30
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11