Millard deputies shoot man who allegedly rammed patrol cars
FILLMORE, Millard County — An Oak City man who allegedly rammed four patrol cars before being shot by deputies was recovering from his injuries Wednesday.
About 7 p.m. Tuesday, Millard County sheriff's deputies and Adult Probation and Parole agents were contacted by family and mental health workers of George Finlinson to "assist in mental health treatment that was needed immediately," according to a statement from the Millard County Sheriff's Office.
Deputies spotted Finlinson, 42, driving and attempted to pull him over in his pickup truck, but he refused to stop, according to the sheriff's office.
"During this attempt to stop the vehicle, Finlinson turned and rammed a patrol vehicle, disabling it," the sheriff's office stated.
A total of four sheriff's vehicles were damaged. In addition, Finlinson allegedly tried hitting a deputy standing outside his patrol car.
"Fearing for their safety, officers on the scene fired shots at Finlinson. Finlinson was struck and continued to physically resist, injuring one deputy before he was taken into custody," the sheriff's office said.
The Utah County Sheriff's Office was asked to investigate the shooting while the Utah Highway Patrol will investigate the crashes involving the four police cars.
Earlier this year, Finlinson was charged in Fillmore's 4th District Court with assault by a prisoner and interfering with an arresting officer after allegedly kicking a sheriff's deputy during a traffic stop, court records indicate. The case was later dismissed.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Weber County deputies investigating possible...
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy shine...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Photos: Here comes the sun
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 33
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 30
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11