Millard deputies shoot man who allegedly rammed patrol cars
FILLMORE, Millard County — An Oak City man who allegedly rammed four patrol cars before being shot by deputies was recovering from his injuries Wednesday.
About 7 p.m. Tuesday, Millard County sheriff's deputies and Adult Probation and Parole agents were contacted by family and mental health workers of George Finlinson to "assist in mental health treatment that was needed immediately," according to a statement from the Millard County Sheriff's Office.
Deputies spotted Finlinson, 42, driving and attempted to pull him over in his pickup truck, but he refused to stop, according to the sheriff's office.
"During this attempt to stop the vehicle, Finlinson turned and rammed a patrol vehicle, disabling it," the sheriff's office stated.
A total of four sheriff's vehicles were damaged. In addition, Finlinson allegedly tried hitting a deputy standing outside his patrol car.
"Fearing for their safety, officers on the scene fired shots at Finlinson. Finlinson was struck and continued to physically resist, injuring one deputy before he was taken into custody," the sheriff's office said.
The Utah County Sheriff's Office was asked to investigate the shooting while the Utah Highway Patrol will investigate the crashes involving the four police cars.
Earlier this year, Finlinson was charged in Fillmore's 4th District Court with assault by a prisoner and interfering with an arresting officer after allegedly kicking a sheriff's deputy during a traffic stop, court records indicate. The case was later dismissed.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 38
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 26
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14