Westminster volleyball: Griffins picked sixth in poll of coaches
The Westminster women’s volleyball team was picked to finish sixth in the Frontier Conference preseason poll of coaches, the league office announced Wednesday. The Griffins received 22 points in the poll of the eight conference coaches.
Westminster returns just four players from the 2013 squad that finished 17-14 overall and reached the semifinals of the Frontier Conference Tournament.
First place was worth seven points, second place six points, third place five points and so on. Coaches were not allowed to vote for their own teams.
Rocky Mountain was picked to top the conference, garnering six of eight possible first-place votes and 48 points overall. Lewis-Clark State was second, followed by Carroll College, which earned 34 points.
Montana Tech and MSU-Northern each received a first-place vote and tied for fourth with 27 total points. Westminster, Great Falls (17) and Montana Western (9) rounded out the poll.
The Griffins begin the 2014 season on Aug. 21, with matches against Walla Walla and Eastern Oregon at the Sports Travel Northwest Invitational.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 282
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 67
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 37
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 33