TAYLORSVILLE — A 51-year-old man died Tuesday night as a result of injuries he sustained when his sport utility vehicle crashed into a house.
William L. Nichols, 51, of South Jordan, was pronounced dead at a local hospital.
It was the second incident of a car hitting a house in Salt Lake County within 24 hours.
Nichols was spotted by other drivers being reckless just before the accident.
"We had witnesses say they were behind this Suburban on 3600 West about 5200 South following it southbound, and it was driving at a high rate of speed, was weaving in and out of traffic. Ultimately the vehicle crashed into the side of the home," said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
It crashed into the corner of a house at 3627 W. Christyann Drive (5460 South) about 10:30 p.m. The driver was in extremely critical condition when emergency crews arrived. He died a short time later at a local hospital.
The SUV hit a gas meter and severed a line. Fire crews were able to successfully shut the gas off when they arrived.
Two people were inside the house when the crash occurred. Neither was injured. Hoyal said the home appeared to have suffered minimal damage upon first inspection.
Investigators did not know Wednesday whether drugs or alcohol were factors in the crash.
The incident comes on the heels of another crash Monday night in Kearns. A 28-year-old woman, who police said had a blood-alcohol level of 0.22, managed to launch her SUV into the air and land in the living room of a house at 4178 W. 5820 South. No one in that incident was seriously injured.
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Mother and son charged in drive-by shooting...
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Salt Lake County lands on Top 10 list of...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 87
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 37
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 31
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 26
- Granite School District reaches... 22
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 16