Tips for living: Author provides a guide to 'Choosing Your Eternal Companion'
Robert K. McIntosh's book "Choosing Your Eternal Companion: Decode the Dating Game Using the Family Proclamation " (Cedar Fort, $14.99) offers tips for navigating meeting and dating philosophies using points from the LDS Church's "The Family: A Proclamation to the World."
"The Family: A Proclamation to the World" was released by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1995 and is referred to often as a guide to strengthening the family.
McIntosh takes it even further and uses it to instruct readers on how to choose their eternal companion and even strengthen the marriage they may already have. He goes through "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" paragraph by paragraph and breaks it down into helpful tips that relate to the relationship of marriage. Here are some of them:
1. The first key to using "The Family" is to study and understand it, he writes.
2. Understand that there is a plan for everyone.
3. Become the right person before you expect to meet the right person.
4. One of the most important qualities to bring to a marriage is self-worth, McIntosh writes.
5. In following "The Family: A Proclamation to the World," the desire to marry in the temple needs to be stronger than the desire to simply get married, McIntosh writes.
6. McIntosh admonishes the reader to know the difference between lust and love; it will make or break a marriage.
7. McIntosh uses "The Family" to prove that a successful marriage requires Christ-like love, commitment, becoming equal partners and building a life based on following the teachings of Jesus Christ.
Each chapter includes questions for reflection to apply the teachings to the reader's own life. McIntosh also includes an appendix at the end with seven suggestions of his own on how to choose an eternal companion, as well as worksheets and questionnaires to personalize the learning experience.
- David Archuleta, Mormon Tabernacle Choir,...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- LDS Church releases 'He Is The Gift'...
- LDS Church to send email newsletters to...
- Richard Paul Evans: 8-year-old boy with bone...
- Watch: LDS musician Lindsey Stirling speaks...
- BYUtv to air feature on Handel’s...
- New friends plan to work together to... 61
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 21
- John Jones died in a cave, but his... 14
- Ask Angela: Should I end this... 10
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an... 8
- David Archuleta, Mormon Tabernacle... 6
- 7 bizarre ways religious leaders have... 5
- Can Jews and Muslims get along? 60... 5