Tips for living: Author provides a guide to 'Choosing Your Eternal Companion'
Robert K. McIntosh's book "Choosing Your Eternal Companion: Decode the Dating Game Using the Family Proclamation " (Cedar Fort, $14.99) offers tips for navigating meeting and dating philosophies using points from the LDS Church's "The Family: A Proclamation to the World."
"The Family: A Proclamation to the World" was released by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1995 and is referred to often as a guide to strengthening the family.
McIntosh takes it even further and uses it to instruct readers on how to choose their eternal companion and even strengthen the marriage they may already have. He goes through "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" paragraph by paragraph and breaks it down into helpful tips that relate to the relationship of marriage. Here are some of them:
1. The first key to using "The Family" is to study and understand it, he writes.
2. Understand that there is a plan for everyone.
3. Become the right person before you expect to meet the right person.
4. One of the most important qualities to bring to a marriage is self-worth, McIntosh writes.
5. In following "The Family: A Proclamation to the World," the desire to marry in the temple needs to be stronger than the desire to simply get married, McIntosh writes.
6. McIntosh admonishes the reader to know the difference between lust and love; it will make or break a marriage.
7. McIntosh uses "The Family" to prove that a successful marriage requires Christ-like love, commitment, becoming equal partners and building a life based on following the teachings of Jesus Christ.
Each chapter includes questions for reflection to apply the teachings to the reader's own life. McIntosh also includes an appendix at the end with seven suggestions of his own on how to choose an eternal companion, as well as worksheets and questionnaires to personalize the learning experience.
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin brothers...
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues to...
- LDS husband and father is also a firefighter...
- Defending the Faith: When the criticisms of...
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better...
- Angel Moroni placed atop Indianapolis temple
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues... 46
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better... 26
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 24
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 19
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 18
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin... 11