Laura Seitz, Deseret News
Utah State’s football team will officially begin fall camp Tuesday, Aug. 5, with its first practice from 2:15 to 4:15 p.m., on the USU practice field located between the football stadium and the indoor practice facility. All practices during fall camp, which concludes Saturday, Aug. 23, are open to the public.
Second-year head coach Matt Wells welcomes back 38 lettermen and 14 starters from last year’s team that concluded its season with a 21-14 win against 24th-ranked Northern Illinois in the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl to finish the year with a 9-5 record and tie the 1960 and 1961 teams for the second-most wins in school history. With its win against Northern Illinois, Utah State posted back-to-back bowl wins for the first time in school history as it played in its third-straight bowl game, also a first at USU.
Utah State, which finished the 2013 season winning six of its final seven games, also set the school record for conference wins as it posted a 7-1 league mark in its first season in the Mountain West to win the Mountain Division of the conference and advance to the inaugural Mountain West Championship game.
Utah State ended the year ranking tied for 37th nationally in the Associated Press and ESPN/USA Today Coaches' polls with two votes each, marking the second time in as many years USU has concluded the season ranked among the top teams in the nation.
“We are very excited to start the season and begin working on the 2014 edition of the Aggies,” Wells said. “We challenged our players to have a great summer and I’m excited to see their work play out on the practice field. There are several holes to fill from last year’s team due to graduation and there are high expectations for this team, both internally and externally. We look forward to meeting all of those challenges during this training camp and I expect a high-energy and fast-paced practice Tuesday.”
Practices on Tuesday and Wednesday, Aug. 5-6, will have players in helmets, practice jerseys and shorts as part of the five-day acclimation period, before adding shoulder pads for practices on Thursday and Friday, Aug. 7-8. USU will then be in full pads on Saturday, Aug. 9, leading up to its first two-a-day practice on Monday, Aug. 11. USU’s first scrimmage will be on Merlin Olsen Field at Romney Stadium on Tuesday, Aug. 12 at 6 p.m.
Utah State opens the 2014 season Sunday, Aug. 31, at Tennessee and plays its first home game the following weekend against Idaho State on Saturday, Sept. 6 at 6 p.m.
Doug Hoffman is the associate athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Oct. 9
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Utah and Utah State should...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20