Lindon man accused of defrauding victims of $100,000 in two counties
Utah County Jail
LINDON — A Utah County man has been arrested for fraud-related investigations in two counties totaling more than $100,000.
Jerry Lovelace, 55, of Lindon, was booked into the Utah County Jail on Friday for investigation of forgery and communications fraud after investigators say he invited his neighbor to invest in a fire suppression company that didn't exist, taking $43,000 from him over three years.
After approaching his neighbor in 2010, Lovelace reportedly presented his neighbor with fraudulent documents indicating he had contracted with organizations like the Orange County Fire Authority, according to a police affidavit filed in 4th District Court. The man discovered the con when, following a series of "delays," he spoke with representatives at the fire authority and was told Lovelace had never contacted them.
Lovelace was also charged in 3rd District Court on July 22 with theft, a second-degree felony, for allegedly billing a food storage company that employed him for $61,909 worth of sales he never made between April 2012 and September 2013.
Lovelace told investigators he falsely reported that he had made sales to California school districts and Kaiser hospitals in California. He used the money he received for personal gain, charges state.
Because multiple victims are common in fraud cases, investigators say it's possible Lovelace defrauded more people in the state. Anyone with information about Lovelace is asked to call the law enforcement agency in their area.
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- Race heating up as congressional Democrats...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Logan man killed in Idaho car crash
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 40
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- Scalia's death leaves major void in... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 22
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Race heating up as congressional... 11