Lindon man accused of defrauding victims of $100,000 in two counties
Utah County Jail
LINDON — A Utah County man has been arrested for fraud-related investigations in two counties totaling more than $100,000.
Jerry Lovelace, 55, of Lindon, was booked into the Utah County Jail on Friday for investigation of forgery and communications fraud after investigators say he invited his neighbor to invest in a fire suppression company that didn't exist, taking $43,000 from him over three years.
After approaching his neighbor in 2010, Lovelace reportedly presented his neighbor with fraudulent documents indicating he had contracted with organizations like the Orange County Fire Authority, according to a police affidavit filed in 4th District Court. The man discovered the con when, following a series of "delays," he spoke with representatives at the fire authority and was told Lovelace had never contacted them.
Lovelace was also charged in 3rd District Court on July 22 with theft, a second-degree felony, for allegedly billing a food storage company that employed him for $61,909 worth of sales he never made between April 2012 and September 2013.
Lovelace told investigators he falsely reported that he had made sales to California school districts and Kaiser hospitals in California. He used the money he received for personal gain, charges state.
Because multiple victims are common in fraud cases, investigators say it's possible Lovelace defrauded more people in the state. Anyone with information about Lovelace is asked to call the law enforcement agency in their area.
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Mother and son charged in drive-by shooting...
- Salt Lake County lands on Top 10 list of...
- Body cameras have played roles in 2...
- A parent's worst nightmare: When a fever...
- New poll shows more support for Sen. Mike Lee
- Utah family into film, acting, directing and...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 89
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 50
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 44
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 32
- Granite School District reaches... 22
- New poll shows more support for Sen.... 20