Provo's waffle truck was started by a motivated father, encouraged by his family
"They were so cool in the beginning because they were so open," Terry said. "They were just like, 'We don't have a law about this, but we're going to build one, and while we're building it just make sure you have a business license.’ ”
Waffle Love had its grand opening in July 2012 at the Springville Art City Days' farmers market. Based on sales at the farmers market, Terry determined he would have to sell 100 waffles a day to break even.
"I literally had to sell waffles and then use that money to go buy more ingredients to be able to make more waffles to sell those waffles," Terry said.
The next time Terry tried to sell his waffles was on a regular business day during the week.
"I just went out and parked on Provo Center Street and sold 13 waffles. ... I wasn't able to sell 100 consistently every day for months."
Days went by as Terry found new places to park his truck and tried to sell his waffles, often having the police called on him. But it was during those hard moments that Terry turned to his faith.
"I'm a Christian man," Terry said.
"I believe in Christ. One of the things that helped get me through the toughest times when I was first starting my business was just the statement: 'I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me' (Philippians 4:13). I think I recited that to myself probably a million times."
Now, as he celebrates the second anniversary of Waffle Love, Terry is humbled and grateful for the success he and his family have found.
"When I was first starting, there's no way that I would think, 'Before you reach your two-year anniversary, you're going to have three trucks here in Utah, a store here in Provo, an Arizona truck up and running and be building more trucks for other places.' No way, no way I would have thought that," Terry said.
"I'm just so grateful, it's amazing. It's crazy to think about it like that, actually. Every now and then when I sit back and think about it like that, I'm just amazed, and we feel so blessed."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Twitter: @Sarah_DNews
- Zuckerberg and wife, in letter to new...
- The Piano Guys perform 'Silent Night' at New...
- BYU Vocal Point, One Voice Children's Choir...
- All Blacks perform haka tribute for deceased...
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes
- Can you put a price on parent-child quality...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Getting things...
- Charities, volunteers unite to allow...
- Zuckerberg and wife, in letter to new... 7
- These touching Christmas ads will melt... 3
- More young women are living at home now... 2
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes 1
- Prehistoric lessons: What children can... 1
- Surprising success: 'A Charlie Brown... 1
- Seasonal stagings: Area theaters host... 1
- Michelle Singletary: Plan for money and... 1