Michelle Tessier, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Crews made progress on a number of fires burning throughout Utah on Sunday, establishing containment lines and opening previously closed roadways.
In Summit County, the Rockport Fire was reported at 100 percent containment Sunday afternoon, according to North Summit Fire District spokesman Tyler Rowser.
The 120-acre, lightning-caused fire began Friday and prompted the evacuation of roughly 200 homes, Rowser said. That evacuation order was lifted Friday evening.
"There were three structures that were surrounded by the fire. They're not threatened and all evacuations have been lifted," he said. "We'll be monitoring it for the next few days just to make sure."
The Simpson Fire in Tooele County was reported as 95 percent contained Sunday by West Desert District spokeswoman Teresa Rigby. She said crews were able to reopen the Lookout Pass, a dirt road often used by employees at the Dugway Proving Ground.
"We’re pretty close to containment," she said. "There will continue to be some heat within the interior so containment doesn’t mean it’s entirely out."
In northern Utah, the Tunnel Hollow Fire was reported at 96 percent containment Sunday, according to Morgan County Fire Warden Boyd Carrigan.
The 1,400-acre, lightning-caused fire has been burning for a week, but Carrigan said full containment is expected in the next couple of days.
"We just have a few hot spots we’re taking care of and we’re finishing a little bit of line around the perimeter," he said. "Hopefully by end of shift on Tuesday we should have 100 percent containment."
The Spring Canyon Fire in Utah County and Plateau Fire near Salina were both reported at 60 percent containment Sunday evening.
The Black Canyon Fire in Tooele County, which has grown to 670 acres, was reported as 95 percent contained. Uintah Wasatch Cache National Forest spokeswoman Kathy Jo Pollock anticipated the fire would reach full containment on Monday.
"What they did today was build line and put out hot spots," she said.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: bjaminwood
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- 'To this day, I don't believe I did it': War...
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to rally...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 153
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 56
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 44
- Police release names of officers... 30
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 27
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 20
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18