2 killed in Uintah County crash identified as Vernal residents
VERNAL — Two people who died Saturday night after a rollover crash in Dry Fork Canyon have been identified as Vernal residents.
The Utah County Sheriff's Office said Sunday that Trevor Cuch, 21, of Vernal, suffered fatal injuries after being ejected from a vehicle near 6000 North and Dry Fork Canyon Road.
A second individual, identified as 15-year-old Vernal resident Dylan Sweatfield by multiple sources, was also ejected and fatally injured in the accident.
Deputies were notified of the accident about 8 p.m. Saturday after people living nearby heard a crash and went to investigate, Uintah County Sheriff's Cpl. Dustin Cheshire said.
The residents told deputies they found Cuch dead at the crash site. They were performing first aid on Sweatfield when first responders arrived.
The 15-year-old was taken to Ashley Regional Medical Center, where he later died, the corporal said.
"There were no witnesses to the crash; however, deputies were told that the vehicle was seen being driven southbound on the Dry Fork Canyon Road at a high rate of speed just prior to the crash," Cheshire said.
Investigators said it appeared the driver lost control on the canyon road, drove off the west side of the road and up a dirt hill.
"The vehicle rolled numerous times and both of the occupants were ejected," Cheshire said. "At this time, speed is the only factor in the accident and there wasn’t any evidence of alcohol on scene."
According to the sheriff's office, Cuch and Sweatfield had borrowed the vehicle from a friend who later reported that the two men were overdue in returning the vehicle, which aided investigators in identifying the teenager.
It is not yet known who was operating that vehicle at the time of the accident.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Carbon County deputy saves father, son from...
- Fire rips through Orem structure under...
- Sugar House man intends to sue police, city...
- A year later, a look at the Utah decision on...
- Police: Vernal woman arrested with car full...
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on...
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 51
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 50
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 35
- Popular Utah County water recreation... 21
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utahns favor Count My Vote and SB54,... 15
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 15