BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has recovered from a torn ACL, looks forward to senior season
“I want to have an even better season than I did my sophomore year. I’m going to approach this year as not taking things for granted,” he said. “You can be playing one day and not playing the next. That’s what happened to me. I’m approaching this year with no regrets and giving it my all. As far as a team, of course we want to go undefeated. From (what) everyone is saying, this is the year we could sweep the table and go undefeated. That would be great in my last year to do something like that and make that dream a reality. I feel with all the hard work we’ve been doing in the offseason, we could do that.”
Linebacker Manoa Pikula can’t wait to play with Johnson — and returning starter Robertson Daniel, who is expected to man the boundary corner spot.
“I’m excited for him. It builds a lot of confidence for our team, knowing we have Jordan back, and that we have Rob at corner,” Pikula said. “With our DBs being as good as they are, I feel like it’s going to give us that extra second for (linebackers) Bronson Kaufusi or Alani Fua to get that sack or get a good pass rush. I’m excited to see Jordan come back. He’s looking stronger than I’ve ever seen him.”
For Johnson, it’s fitting that he’ll open his senior year so close to home.
“It’s 35 or 40 minutes away from where I grew up,” he said. “It’s going to be cool. After a year away from playing, my first game will be back home. My mother and father and friends and family will be there — a lot of people who haven’t gotten a chance to see me play. And it’s my last year. It’s kind of symbolic.”
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26