BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has recovered from a torn ACL, looks forward to senior season
“I want to have an even better season than I did my sophomore year. I’m going to approach this year as not taking things for granted,” he said. “You can be playing one day and not playing the next. That’s what happened to me. I’m approaching this year with no regrets and giving it my all. As far as a team, of course we want to go undefeated. From (what) everyone is saying, this is the year we could sweep the table and go undefeated. That would be great in my last year to do something like that and make that dream a reality. I feel with all the hard work we’ve been doing in the offseason, we could do that.”
Linebacker Manoa Pikula can’t wait to play with Johnson — and returning starter Robertson Daniel, who is expected to man the boundary corner spot.
“I’m excited for him. It builds a lot of confidence for our team, knowing we have Jordan back, and that we have Rob at corner,” Pikula said. “With our DBs being as good as they are, I feel like it’s going to give us that extra second for (linebackers) Bronson Kaufusi or Alani Fua to get that sack or get a good pass rush. I’m excited to see Jordan come back. He’s looking stronger than I’ve ever seen him.”
For Johnson, it’s fitting that he’ll open his senior year so close to home.
“It’s 35 or 40 minutes away from where I grew up,” he said. “It’s going to be cool. After a year away from playing, my first game will be back home. My mother and father and friends and family will be there — a lot of people who haven’t gotten a chance to see me play. And it’s my last year. It’s kind of symbolic.”
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 83
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 62
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 27
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 21
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20