Police identify man killed in officer-involved shooting Friday
MILLCREEK — A 31-year-old Millcreek man was shot and killed Friday after firing on police officers who responded to a domestic dispute at the man's home, police said.
Officers were called to an apartment at 360 E. Woodlake Cove (4055 South) around 8:40 p.m. and found Nicholas Lister's wife or significant other already outside, Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said. The woman informed police that Lister had access to weapons in the home.
Officers and dispatchers reached Lister, who refused to come out of his apartment, Hoyal said. But after police determined that the domestic issue was verbal and not criminal in nature, they decided to try to de-escalate the situation.
"It was a non-criminal domestic. We knew she was out and she was safe," Hoyal said.
Lister threatened to come out with a gun. Despite repeated requests that he not come out, he stepped onto his apartment balcony with a shotgun in hand.
"He fired at least one round at officers outside," Hoyal said. "They returned fire, striking him, and he passed away at the scene."
While investigating, police found Lister was armed with both a shotgun and another handgun.
"It's a tragic deal all the way around — for our officers involved and the suspect's family," Hoyal said.
The shooting is being investigated both by the Unified Police Department and the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office. The officers who fired their weapons are on paid administrative leave, which Hoyal said is standard practice for such incidents.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Wyoming authorities to speak about Utah rail...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Worthy of celebration: 99-year history of...
- Utah man building Disneyland out of Legos...
- America’s Most Followed Members of...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a...
- Fruit Heights to shut off water system...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 35
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 22