Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
DRAPER — A Draper man injured when his home exploded into flames died Friday night at University Hospital.
Paul Broadhurst, 40, was being treated in the hospital's burn unit.
“Our family is grateful to emergency medical personnel and health care providers who assisted Paul on Friday. We ask for privacy as we grieve the loss of our family member," Ryan Dickson, Broadhurst's brother, said in a statement.
Firefighters were first dispatched to the Draper home at 15091 S. Junction Circle (235 East) about 7:30 a.m. Friday.
Unified fire investigators are being tight-lipped about the incident, saying only that it will likely be a lengthy investigation. The house was a total loss.
Neighbors described feeling and hearing a loud explosion, and the home was immediately in flames. Several people reported seeing Broadhurst leaving the home with burns to his hands and arms.
Broadhurst was alone in the house when it exploded. His wife and two children were with family in Idaho, according to friends.
Siding, insulation, toys, glass and other pieces of the home littered neighbors' yards after the explosion. Other residents reported hearing subsequent explosions. Siding on some nearby houses melted from the intense heat. A few neighbors were also temporarily evacuated as crews fought the blaze.
Neighbors have set up an account in the family's name for donations at Wells Fargo Bank.
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks judge not...
- Teen injured in Memorial Day crash dies
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- We're not in Utah anymore — photos of...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 42
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 39
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 23
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17
- Salt Lake City leaders announce... 15