Book review: 'Testimony of Luke' paints a portrait of the Savior
"THE TESTIMONY OF LUKE," by S. Kent Brown, BYU Studies, e-book $19.99, 738 pages (nf)
"The Testimony of Luke" includes a distinctive look at the character and context of the Savior, as well as the unique teachings offered by the perspective of Luke.
It's the latest contribution from S. Kent Brown, professor of ancient scripture and the director of ancient studies at Brigham Young University, and is published as part of the BYU New Testament Commentary ebook series by BYU Studies.
Brown structures "The Testimony of Luke" as a verse-by-verse commentary. Each section includes translation notes and commentary, followed by in-depth analysis of the text. The translation notes focus on specific passages, giving linguistic, legal and cultural clarifications. The analysis portions delve into who the Savior is and what we can learn about him by what he said, what he did and how he interacted with people.
While to be appreciated by scholars, "The Testimony of Luke" is also a useful resource for the lay reader seeking further insights to textual questions. Easily searched by chapter and verse, the book will allow readers to skip around to specific scriptures or pour themselves into study from start to finish.
Appropriate as a seminary, institute or Sunday school study guide or as an incredible tool for personal use, this 738-page family-friendly commentary is an asset to any library. The only graphic scenes at all are the same ones in scripture: the healings of certain diseases and the sufferings of the Savior himself.
Emily Christensen lives with her husband in Oklahoma. Her doctorate is in marriage and family therapy, and she is pursuing a second degree in Hebrew and Jewish studies. Her blog is housewifeclass.com, and her email is email@example.com.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin brothers...
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues to...
- LDS husband and father is also a firefighter...
- Defending the Faith: When the criticisms of...
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better...
- Mormon Media scholars discuss church and...
- Defending the Faith: When the... 139
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues... 46
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better... 26
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 20
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 18
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 17
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16