For Doloria "Dol" Maria de la Cruz, sorting through her feelings might be easier if she didn't have to pick them out from the never-ending crush of emotions in the people around her.
Dol, Ro, Tima and Lucas are the Four Icon Children — the essence of Sorrow, Rage, Fear and Love in human form — and their ability to feel so deeply also gives them immunity to the Icons' power to stop the human heart.
After putting their abilities to the test in Los Angeles, Dol, Ro, Tima and Lucas set out with Fortis to destroy the remaining Icons with the help of the Grass rebellion. But things are not going as they planned. The Lords are catching up quickly, and as their powers expand and their journey evolves, it becomes clear that Fortis is keeping big secrets from them.
For Dol, there is more than just destroying the Icons. A fifth Icon child has contacted her through her dreams, and it's clear that finding her will be important to their fight with the Lords. Not only that, but Dol is also faced with choosing between Ro and Lucas, the two great loves of her life.
Author Margaret Stohl's "Idols" is an explosive literary addition to "Icons," the first book in the trilogy. Utah readers especially will find interest in parts of the storyline set in Goblin Valley and Cottonwood Canyon, the use of the Granite Mountain Records Vault and small details that are commonly used and known within Utah and Mormon culture.
Although the love triangle in "Idols" can be confusing for readers, Stohl draws readers in with vivid, beautiful imagery of Southeast Asia, and she keeps tension high with epic action and curiosity peaked through informative documents between chapters. "Idols" is a fast-paced, well-thought-out and intelligent science fiction novel that pretends to be predictable long enough to leave readers utterly surprised.
"Idols" does not contain any inappropriate language or romantic scenes. Some destruction and battle scenes are described.
Hikari Loftus is a graduate of the University of Utah.
- Paintbrushes, fairy tales and chore charts:...
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt list,...
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Erin Stewart: How to survive your...
- Millennials read more books than their...
- Two big reasons to buy comic books for your kids
- 'The Addams Family' has clever Utah Valley...
- Reissued films upgraded to Blu-ray, new...
- The changing definition of 'TV': What... 16
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- Millennials read more books than their... 3
- The complicated relationship between... 3
- Vikings reinstate Peterson despite... 2
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 2
- Miss New York chosen as Miss America 2015 1