Richard Drew, Associated Press
Someone climbed atop the Brooklyn Bridge last week and replaced two American flags with white flags. New York may be the city that doesn’t sleep, but apparently it’s also the city that doesn’t pay attention.
Police said whoever did this might have done considerable planning and had experience climbing. I love it when investigators sift clues to illuminate hard-to-find facts.
New Yorkers seemed unfazed by the stunt, other than to note that it seemed a bit early in the year for the New York Giants to be hoisting a surrender flag.
California is imposing tough new restrictions as its prolonged drought continues. Football season just won’t be the same as players dump empty coolers on the heads of winning coaches.
Last week was the 45th anniversary of the first moon landing. People in 1969 would be astounded at the technological wonders we’ve achieved in 2014. For instance, they could never imagine a taco shell made out of Doritos.
Today’s generation seems to have lost the sense of adventure that existed in the Apollo program. In fact, we seem to have lost the space program all together.
The San Diego Padres had 105-year-old Agnes McKee throw the ceremonial first pitch before a game last week. She had wanted to throw out the first pitch at a Cubs game, but the team didn’t want to highlight the fact that, despite her age, McKee still isn’t old enough to have been alive when Chicago last won a championship.
McKee threw a wicked underhand strike. Then she reportedly told the catcher, “Son, I knew Babe Ruth. Babe Ruth was a friend of mine. Son, you’re no Babe Ruth.”
A Chinese supplier is in trouble for selling tainted meat to several fast-food companies in Asia. The companies were trying to put the best face on the scandal by saying, “See, we do too use real meat.”
Pioneer Day is one of the few times a lot of Utahns can run in races without anyone caring which political party they belong to.
Thousands of people volunteered to run despite the heat of a summer’s day. We should learn from this. Maybe if all the losers still came away with medals, more people would run for political office.
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA fool you...
- In our opinion: After change to state pension...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- Letter: Methane benefits
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to end...
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 71
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 62
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 45
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 38
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 22