Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that his conference's teams are scheduling BYU
HOLLYWOOD, California — Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott said it “makes a lot of sense” for teams in his conference to schedule football games against independent BYU.
“They’re a school that’s got a great reputation, a great history of success,” Scott said during media days at the Paramount Studios. “I’d consider it a high-quality matchup when our teams play against them.”
Over the next 10 seasons, the Cougars have games scheduled against several Pac-12 opponents, including Arizona, Arizona State, California, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah and Washington State.
Despite the abundance of games, however, there have been no discussions about having BYU enter into any sort of scheduling arrangement like Notre Dame has with the ACC. Same goes for having the Cougars become a preferred opponent to fill Pac-12 vacancies created in November when teams like Stanford and USC play the independent Irish.
“It’s not something that we’ve talked about at the conference level, but it’s happening naturally. They seem to be getting good games,” Scott said. “I’m delighted that our schools are playing them. They’re a good quality team. It enhances our strength of schedule, which I’ve been all about. So it’s been good for our conference nationally.”
As for Pac-12 expansion, Scott said there are no plans to do so at the moment, nor in the foreseeable future. It coincides with the national climate.
“I think nationally things have settled down with expansion because long-term TV deals are in place, most conferences have kind of locked in their schools for some time, and I think we reached kind of an equilibrium,” Scott said. “And in our conference, we’re just delighted with 12.”
Although Scott acknowledged that moving from 10 to 12 schools with the addition of Colorado and Utah in 2011 required some adjustment — such as not every school playing each other during football season or having a pure round-robin schedule in basketball — the commissioner said the Pac-12 feels “like we’ve got the right balance.”
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- BYU vs. Virginia primer
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 107
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 71
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 62
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44