EAGLE MOUNTAIN — Utah County sheriff's deputies are investigating whether alcohol contributed to a head-on collision that killed an Eagle Mountain woman and a 15-year-old girl who was in the other car.
Killed in the accident were: Catherine Hancock, 15, of Eagle Mountain; and Jennifer Ashley Taft Bailey, 28, of Eagle Mountain.
About 1:30 p.m., police responded to an accident on state Route 73 near Eagle Mountain. A father and his three children were headed west and a vehicle driven by Bailey was headed east.
"What we're hearing and what the evidence is telling us is the eastbound car appears to have drifted over the lines," Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon said. "The driver of the westbound car was unable to avoid a collision."
Cannon said the collision was a "very violent crash. The cars are almost completely destroyed." Hancock was killed on impact.
Bailey, the sole occupant in her car, was flown by helicopter to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in Provo, where she was later pronounced dead.
Deputies discovered an open container of alcohol in Bailey's Ford Fusion, according to Cannon. "Whether it was being used ... we don't know. We are investigating that," he said.
Hancock's brothers, ages 10 and 7, were in the Chevrolet Cruze driven by their father. All members of the family were wearing seat belts and had to be extricated from the vehicle by emergency crews. The father and two sons were taken to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray. Their injuries were serious, but not life-threatening, according to Cannon.
"It's frustrating to see these things," he said. "Most accidents or crashes that you see are preventable on the part of one or the other or both. We don't know exactly what happened here."
Contributing: Jed Boal
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt status...
- Motley Crue concert delayed about two hours...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team at...
- Merged resorts relying on familiar feel to...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 297
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 141
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 106
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 76
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 67
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 38
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35