EAGLE MOUNTAIN — Utah County sheriff's deputies are investigating whether alcohol contributed to a head-on collision that killed an Eagle Mountain woman and a 15-year-old girl who was in the other car.
Killed in the accident were: Catherine Hancock, 15, of Eagle Mountain; and Jennifer Ashley Taft Bailey, 28, of Eagle Mountain.
About 1:30 p.m., police responded to an accident on state Route 73 near Eagle Mountain. A father and his three children were headed west and a vehicle driven by Bailey was headed east.
"What we're hearing and what the evidence is telling us is the eastbound car appears to have drifted over the lines," Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon said. "The driver of the westbound car was unable to avoid a collision."
Cannon said the collision was a "very violent crash. The cars are almost completely destroyed." Hancock was killed on impact.
Bailey, the sole occupant in her car, was flown by helicopter to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in Provo, where she was later pronounced dead.
Deputies discovered an open container of alcohol in Bailey's Ford Fusion, according to Cannon. "Whether it was being used ... we don't know. We are investigating that," he said.
Hancock's brothers, ages 10 and 7, were in the Chevrolet Cruze driven by their father. All members of the family were wearing seat belts and had to be extricated from the vehicle by emergency crews. The father and two sons were taken to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray. Their injuries were serious, but not life-threatening, according to Cannon.
"It's frustrating to see these things," he said. "Most accidents or crashes that you see are preventable on the part of one or the other or both. We don't know exactly what happened here."
Contributing: Jed Boal
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he...
- 107 years of Grace: Cedar City resident still...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Police: Draper man stole mail from more than...
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds, high...
- 200 gather at Utah Capitol in support... 48
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 30
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 24
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 16
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- Ex A.G. John Swallow wants FBI, DOJ... 7