Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake County’s recycling office is able to loan recycle bins for community events for free.
Mayor Ben McAdams said many events already have recycling available, but the new bins are specific for bottle sorting and are available to event organizers at no cost.
“We know that recycling supports clean air, less waste and our pocketbooks,” McAdams said. “Salt Lake County wants to make it easy for people to recycle, and offering the bins does just that.”
Less than a year ago, McAdams issued a two-year challenge to Salt Lake County residents to increase the amount recycled by 20 percent. Offering the bins is part of achieving that goal, he said.
“I’m excited to get the new bins out there for the public’s use,” said Ashlee Yoder, Salt Lake County recycling coordinator. “We’ll be able to track how much is recycled using the bins and factor that in as we crunch the numbers on our path to increase recycling by 20 percent.”
Yoder added that event organizers are responsible for keeping count of the number of recycle bags filled.
Community leaders and event organizers interested in receiving a bin can contact Morgan Olsen at email@example.com or 385-468-6399.
The recycle bins are available through a grant awarded to Salt Lake County from Keep America Beautiful and the Coca-Cola Foundation.
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- 7 more of the most infamous criminals in Utah...
- 2 corrections officials resign in wake of...
- UHP trooper hit during I-15 traffic stop
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 19
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11