Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake County’s recycling office is able to loan recycle bins for community events for free.
Mayor Ben McAdams said many events already have recycling available, but the new bins are specific for bottle sorting and are available to event organizers at no cost.
“We know that recycling supports clean air, less waste and our pocketbooks,” McAdams said. “Salt Lake County wants to make it easy for people to recycle, and offering the bins does just that.”
Less than a year ago, McAdams issued a two-year challenge to Salt Lake County residents to increase the amount recycled by 20 percent. Offering the bins is part of achieving that goal, he said.
“I’m excited to get the new bins out there for the public’s use,” said Ashlee Yoder, Salt Lake County recycling coordinator. “We’ll be able to track how much is recycled using the bins and factor that in as we crunch the numbers on our path to increase recycling by 20 percent.”
Yoder added that event organizers are responsible for keeping count of the number of recycle bags filled.
Community leaders and event organizers interested in receiving a bin can contact Morgan Olsen at email@example.com or 385-468-6399.
The recycle bins are available through a grant awarded to Salt Lake County from Keep America Beautiful and the Coca-Cola Foundation.
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and who is he?
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 39
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16
- Gov. Gary Herbert resisting Utah GOP... 14