Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
HEBER CITY — The city has been named to the list of Top 10 Small Towns by Livability.com.
Heber City ranked No. 8 on the annual list.
The travel website touted Heber City's low crime rate, good schools and excellent health care system attracting families to the area, and the city had the highest growth forecast on the list.
Forested canyons, mountains, lakes and streams, were mentioned as positive factors by the online publication, as well as festivals, special events and area parks.
For the list of cities, editors analyzed metrics from Esri and looked at cities with populations under 20,000, then studied statistics including cost of living, health care spending, racial and socioeconomic diversity, adult obesity, crime, civic engagement, air quality and natural amenities.
After narrowing down the list, editors conducted a visual assessment of the cities and found out what visitors had to say about them and what residents liked about living there.
“Throughout the U.S., we’re seeing a resurgence of emphasis on downtowns in cities of all sizes,” said Livability.com editor Matt Carmichael. “It’s nice to see in the big cities, certainly, but it’s especially great to see these smaller towns not just holding their own, but also thriving.”
Other cities on the list in order were Los Alamos, New Mexico; Northfield, Minnesota; Lebanon, New Hampshire; Hood River, Oregon; Port Angeles, Washington; Glenwood Springs, Colorado; Spearfish, South Dakota; Traverse City, Michigan; and Hailey, Idaho.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge drinking...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 129
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 42
- New definition of homeless would give... 31
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 19