Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
HEBER CITY — The city has been named to the list of Top 10 Small Towns by Livability.com.
Heber City ranked No. 8 on the annual list.
The travel website touted Heber City's low crime rate, good schools and excellent health care system attracting families to the area, and the city had the highest growth forecast on the list.
Forested canyons, mountains, lakes and streams, were mentioned as positive factors by the online publication, as well as festivals, special events and area parks.
For the list of cities, editors analyzed metrics from Esri and looked at cities with populations under 20,000, then studied statistics including cost of living, health care spending, racial and socioeconomic diversity, adult obesity, crime, civic engagement, air quality and natural amenities.
After narrowing down the list, editors conducted a visual assessment of the cities and found out what visitors had to say about them and what residents liked about living there.
“Throughout the U.S., we’re seeing a resurgence of emphasis on downtowns in cities of all sizes,” said Livability.com editor Matt Carmichael. “It’s nice to see in the big cities, certainly, but it’s especially great to see these smaller towns not just holding their own, but also thriving.”
Other cities on the list in order were Los Alamos, New Mexico; Northfield, Minnesota; Lebanon, New Hampshire; Hood River, Oregon; Port Angeles, Washington; Glenwood Springs, Colorado; Spearfish, South Dakota; Traverse City, Michigan; and Hailey, Idaho.
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Thousands attend second Utah Lantern Fest
- With Trump on top, Romney will not... 89
- Utah GOP all in for Cruz, but Trump... 59
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 49
- Utah GOP leaders ready to support... 47
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 36
- Climate change and national forests:... 33
- Robert F. Bennett, former three-term... 28
- S.L. City Council unsure what to expect... 21