Pilot who landed in Vernal with 180 pounds of pot sentenced to probation
Geoff Liesik, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — An Idaho pilot caught at a Utah airport with 180 pounds of marijuana in his small plane has been sentenced to probation and ordered to pay a fine.
Randall Patrick Watson, of Meridian, Idaho, was facing a maximum possible sentence of 20 years in federal prison and a $1 million fine Monday when he stood before U.S. District Judge David Nuffer. Instead, Nuffer put Watson on probation for 50 months and imposed a $25,000 fine, according to court records.
Watson, 57, pleaded guilty in May to one count of conspiracy to distribute marijuana. In court documents filed as part of his plea, Watson admitted that he transported marijuana from a farm in California to distribution points in Utah and other states.
On Nov. 12, U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents tipped off authorities in Uintah County about a "suspicious aircraft" that was expected to land at Vernal Regional Airport, court records show.
A sheriff's deputy made contact with Watson when he landed, and a police K-9 was called in. The dog indicated there were drugs in the plane, court records state. Uintah Basin Narcotics Strike Force agents later found about 180 pounds of marijuana in four duffel bags stowed inside Watson's Cessna 182E Skylane.
As part of his plea agreement with federal prosecutors, Watson forfeited his interest in the plane. Prosecutors also agreed to recommend a sentence at the lower end of the federal guidelines based on Watson's continued willingness to accept responsibility for his actions.
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Worth 1,000 words: Here's a look at the top...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Earthquake in eastern Nevada felt in St....
- Police arrest 4 suspected in 33 'pillowcase...
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 17
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 13
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 13