WEST VALLEY CITY — A woman who made a desperate attempt to avoid arrest didn't get very far after jumping out of a third-story window.
Officers went to an apartment complex, 3781 W. Rockwood Way (3390 South), just after 1:30 a.m. Wednesday to serve an arrest warrant on a 42-year-old woman wanted in connection with robbery and theft, said West Valley Police Lt. Matt Elson.
Officers knocked on the door and asked the people who answered where the woman was. They pointed to a back bedroom, Elson said.
"As officers walked in the back bedroom, they saw her feet as she bailed from the third-floor window," he said.
Josephine Martinez landed on a small bush and some rocks and was still lying on the ground when officers walked down to her. Paramedics were called and took the woman, who was conscious and alert, to a local hospital to be treated for two broken ankles and a broken pelvis, according to police.
"It's definitely unusual to see that kind of drastic attempt to escape from custody," Elson said.
Martinez has a lengthy criminal history, according to Utah state court records.
Most recently, she was charged last week with felony robbery for allegedly taking items from a Harmons grocery store, something she had done multiple times previously, according to court records. A store employee tackled her as she left the store.
Martinez claimed she asked him "nicely" to let go, according to court records before biting him. The woman has hepatitis C and the store employee will have to undergo six months of blood tests, according to court documents.
She was also charged in 2nd District Court in Davis County with felony shoplifting in April, and again in 3rd District Court in May, two times in 2013 and convicted at least once in 2012 of the same crime, according to court records.
Martinez has felony charges dating back to 2001, according to court records.
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Salt Lake man killed, 3 others injured in...
- 2 Kearns men not wearing seat belts killed in...
- Doug Robinson: How this woman's focus on...
- Utah case highlights painful challenges...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 74
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17