Negotiators defuse standoff with armed, suicidal woman in North Salt Lake
Mike Radice, Deseret News
NORTH SALT LAKE — A standoff between police and a woman ended peacefully Tuesday after a shot was fired at an apartment complex Tuesday.
Police responded to Pebble Creek Apartments, 850 N. U.S. 89, just before 6 p.m. when a 16-year-old girl called and told dispatchers she was concerned her mother was suicidal, North Salt Lake Police Chief Craig Black said.
The 38-year-old woman slammed the door on police, who began negotiations and set up a containment out of concern for nearby residents and traffic, Black said.
"Those tactical teams were here mainly to protect the safety of our surrounding residents," he said.
The woman fired one shot with a handgun during the negotiations but no one was injured, Black said. After about an hour of negotiations, the woman agreed to surrender to police and receive professional treatment.
The woman was taken to Lakeview Hospital for evaluation.
No family members were in the home at the time of the standoff, though some came to the apartment and spoke with police, Black said. No neighboring units were evacuated.
Officers from Bountiful, West Bountiful, Woods Cross, Centerville and the Davis County Sheriff's Office assisted with the situation. Black estimated 30 officers were on scene.
"This is as good of a situation as we can ever hope for," Black said.
— McKenzie Romero
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- LDS position on gay, religious rights may...
- Streamlined FanX event is a win for Salt Lake...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Logan woman paralyzed from the waist down to...
- Jackie Biskupski kicks off campaign for Salt...
- Jury exonerates Marc Jenson in fraud, money...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over... 170
- Romney decision not to run again... 48
- LDS position on gay, religious rights... 33
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Business community supports tax... 22
- Rep. Chris Stewart says he's working on... 19
- Man accused in BYU gropings accepts... 17
- Jury exonerates Marc Jenson in fraud,... 17