Negotiators defuse standoff with armed, suicidal woman in North Salt Lake
Mike Radice, Deseret News
NORTH SALT LAKE — A standoff between police and a woman ended peacefully Tuesday after a shot was fired at an apartment complex Tuesday.
Police responded to Pebble Creek Apartments, 850 N. U.S. 89, just before 6 p.m. when a 16-year-old girl called and told dispatchers she was concerned her mother was suicidal, North Salt Lake Police Chief Craig Black said.
The 38-year-old woman slammed the door on police, who began negotiations and set up a containment out of concern for nearby residents and traffic, Black said.
"Those tactical teams were here mainly to protect the safety of our surrounding residents," he said.
The woman fired one shot with a handgun during the negotiations but no one was injured, Black said. After about an hour of negotiations, the woman agreed to surrender to police and receive professional treatment.
The woman was taken to Lakeview Hospital for evaluation.
No family members were in the home at the time of the standoff, though some came to the apartment and spoke with police, Black said. No neighboring units were evacuated.
Officers from Bountiful, West Bountiful, Woods Cross, Centerville and the Davis County Sheriff's Office assisted with the situation. Black estimated 30 officers were on scene.
"This is as good of a situation as we can ever hope for," Black said.
— McKenzie Romero
- 3 men missing nearly 5 months were likely...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after...
- Court battle settled over Susan Powell...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- Stolen truck full of $1 million in shoes...
- Gail Miller honored as 'Giant In Our City'
- 4-year-old boy gets new ear with aid of a 3-D...
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls his...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 41
- Meetings to resolve Medicaid expansion... 29
- Critics worry firing squad law will... 27
- Dramatic increase in Alzheimer's... 24
- Tea party movement still strong,... 22
- Sen. Mike Lee not ready to endorse Ted... 18
- Salt Lake City to become next Google... 17
- Co-founder of Ancestry.com charged with... 14