Negotiators defuse standoff with armed, suicidal woman in North Salt Lake
Mike Radice, Deseret News
NORTH SALT LAKE — A standoff between police and a woman ended peacefully Tuesday after a shot was fired at an apartment complex Tuesday.
Police responded to Pebble Creek Apartments, 850 N. U.S. 89, just before 6 p.m. when a 16-year-old girl called and told dispatchers she was concerned her mother was suicidal, North Salt Lake Police Chief Craig Black said.
The 38-year-old woman slammed the door on police, who began negotiations and set up a containment out of concern for nearby residents and traffic, Black said.
"Those tactical teams were here mainly to protect the safety of our surrounding residents," he said.
The woman fired one shot with a handgun during the negotiations but no one was injured, Black said. After about an hour of negotiations, the woman agreed to surrender to police and receive professional treatment.
The woman was taken to Lakeview Hospital for evaluation.
No family members were in the home at the time of the standoff, though some came to the apartment and spoke with police, Black said. No neighboring units were evacuated.
Officers from Bountiful, West Bountiful, Woods Cross, Centerville and the Davis County Sheriff's Office assisted with the situation. Black estimated 30 officers were on scene.
"This is as good of a situation as we can ever hope for," Black said.
— McKenzie Romero
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama administration...
- Vehicle hits, kills man assessing his crashed...
- ACLU skirmishes with local genetic testing...
- 5 memorable ways to pamper your family this...
- Unified firefighters get hands-on training in...
- World War II bomber pilot, 96, receives Honor...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 109
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 20
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Sen. Hatch set to tour Utah's national... 15
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9
- IRS scam goes far beyond a phone call... 8