Price police seek to quell rumors of violence at upcoming International Days celebration
PRICE — Police say they have been unable to substantiate online rumors that someone plans to commit acts of violence during the city's annual summer celebration.
"Price police have been aware of the rumors for more than a month," Police Chief Kevin Drolc said in a statement Tuesday. "We have and will continue to proactively investigate every item that comes to our attention. As of this writing, nothing has been substantiated."
The chief's statement did not identify the nature of the threats directed at the annual International Days celebration, and Drolc was not immediately available for comment.
The Deseret News, however, learned that the rumors began with Facebook posts that led police to interview several people. It was unknown whether any arrests had been made.
International Days is "the largest celebration in Carbon County," Price City Councilman Layne Miller said. It has drawn thousands of visitors to Price each summer for the past 35 years, he said.
"It's a celebration of our international heritage, which is based on the local coal mines and the people who were imported here to work in the coal mines," Miller said.
The three-day celebration, which kicks off Thursday, features free concerts, vendors in the park, free admission to the swimming pool, a car show and a burnout competition on Main Street, Miller said.
In his statement, Drolc said his officers and officers from other area law enforcement agencies will work to provide a safe environment during International Days.
"While we can make no absolute guarantees, we are confident that our celebration will be safe and enjoyable," he wrote.
The chief said anyone who sees or hears anything alarming, especially during International Days, should call 911. He also asked the public to help officers "by not perpetuating these rumors."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 96
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 39
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- New definition of homeless would give... 28
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 21
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20