Jana Stocks Brown
Editor's note: In celebration of Pioneer Day, the Deseret News asked for recipes that have been passed down in a family. This is one of them.
Anyone visiting my kitchen would know I love recipes and food. I have a large cabinet completely dedicated to recipe books, housing thick tomes, index cards and scribbled-on scraps of paper. But among all these volumes a very ragged tan book holds a place of honor. This is the Cornaby Family Cookbook, a compilation of recipes from aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents and great-grandparents — recipes tried, true and delicious, many of which have been passed down over many generations.
While I doubt there is a bad recipe in the bunch, one of the best is Mom Taylor's Rich Sweet Rolls recipe. From my great-grandmother, it's a rich yeasty dough that can be used for both dinner rolls and decadent desserts. I learned to make this recipe when I was only 7 or 8 and will teach my little girl one day. Until then, she's happy to help with the eating.
RICH SWEET ROLLS
2 tablespoons yeast
½ cup warm water (about 103 degrees)
1½ cups lukewarm milk
¾ cup butter
¾ cup sugar (for dinner rolls use ¼ to ½ cup)
2½ teaspoons salt
6-7 cups bread flour
Bloom yeast in warm water with a pinch of sugar. Warm milk and combine with butter and sugar. Add 2 cups of flour to cool. Add yeast mixture and eggs and beat well. Add salt and enough more flour to make a soft dough. Cover and let rise for 10 minutes. Knead by hand or machine for 10 minutes until surface is smooth.
Place in oiled bowl; cover and let rise until slightly more than double in bulk. Roll as desired, then let rise until doubled. Bake dinner rolls at 400 degrees and larger filled rolls at 375 degrees. Yield: About 3 dozen dinner-size rolls, 2 dozen larger rolls.
Serve dinner rolls with jam or honey. Top sweet rolls with a powdered sugar glaze or cream cheese icing.
— Mom Taylor
Jana Brown is a cook, writer, wife and mother. She has been cooking for nearly 35 years. She blogs at kitchenwitchesblog.com. Twitter: janastocks
- In music video, boy band tells Provo women...
- 25 ways I know my husband loves me
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Why babies are expensive, but could save you...
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 141
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose... 45
- Experts debate whether marriage is... 30
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over... 28
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Mom battling cancer determined to live... 7
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of... 6