Grandma's cheese sandwiches are a tradition at family gatherings
Editor's note: In celebration of Pioneer Day, the Deseret News asked for recipes that have been passed down in a family.
Delicious and simple, my maternal grandmother’s cheese sandwiches are a great addition to your summer picnic plans. When I was a little girl, I remember visiting my grandma and begging her to make these fabulous sandwiches. They are a wonderful combination of flavors from simple ingredients that are easy to keep on hand.
When I began to have children of my own, I wanted to keep the tradition of grandma’s cheese sandwiches. My mother makes them for all of her grandkids, and I feel a sense of nostalgia every time I see her slicing them into four perfect squares, just like her own mother did.
This custom has evolved into not only a summertime favorite but also a year-round treat. Every Easter, next to our deviled eggs and celery sticks, you’ll find cheese sandwiches. In the fall, we eat them as hors d’oeuvres for football games or as an after-school snack.
Grandma's Cheese Sandwiches
There is no real recipe or instructions for this meal if you want to make it the way grandma did. Here is a general reconstruction of the recipe.
3 cups medium or sharp cheddar cheese, grated
3 tablespoons chopped dill pickle
3 tablespoons grated onion (white or yellow)
1½ tablespoons pickle juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
Grate medium or sharp cheddar into a bowl and add these to your own personal taste: chopped dill pickle, grated onion (white or yellow), chopped pimento and pickle juice. Slowly add Miracle Whip until the cheese sticks together. Season with a little salt and pepper, and spread on your favorite bread.
I prefer a bread with sprouted wheat, but it is delicious on anything from a ciabatta bun to plain white sandwich bread.
Enjoy these sandwiches with a tall glass of milk and fresh tomatoes from the garden.
Demaree Hill has a bachelor's degree in communication from the University of Utah. She works fulltime for a wholesale distributor and is a wife and a mother of four.
- Summer movie preview: A look at 21 films and...
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- Steve Eaton: eBay exile is small price to pay...
- 'Avengers' sequel is second biggest US opener...
- The Clean Cut: Newfound perspective inspires...
- 18 of the best made-up words from children's...
- 5-year-old rings bell, celebrates end of...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 53
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson... 6
- From the makeup aisle: Advice from a... 5
- Parents, do your kids trust the... 4
- Steve Eaton: eBay exile is small price... 3
- 'Avengers' sequel is second biggest US... 2
- The case for renewing the War on Poverty 2