Grandma's cheese sandwiches are a tradition at family gatherings
Editor's note: In celebration of Pioneer Day, the Deseret News asked for recipes that have been passed down in a family.
Delicious and simple, my maternal grandmother’s cheese sandwiches are a great addition to your summer picnic plans. When I was a little girl, I remember visiting my grandma and begging her to make these fabulous sandwiches. They are a wonderful combination of flavors from simple ingredients that are easy to keep on hand.
When I began to have children of my own, I wanted to keep the tradition of grandma’s cheese sandwiches. My mother makes them for all of her grandkids, and I feel a sense of nostalgia every time I see her slicing them into four perfect squares, just like her own mother did.
This custom has evolved into not only a summertime favorite but also a year-round treat. Every Easter, next to our deviled eggs and celery sticks, you’ll find cheese sandwiches. In the fall, we eat them as hors d’oeuvres for football games or as an after-school snack.
Grandma's Cheese Sandwiches
There is no real recipe or instructions for this meal if you want to make it the way grandma did. Here is a general reconstruction of the recipe.
3 cups medium or sharp cheddar cheese, grated
3 tablespoons chopped dill pickle
3 tablespoons grated onion (white or yellow)
1½ tablespoons pickle juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
Grate medium or sharp cheddar into a bowl and add these to your own personal taste: chopped dill pickle, grated onion (white or yellow), chopped pimento and pickle juice. Slowly add Miracle Whip until the cheese sticks together. Season with a little salt and pepper, and spread on your favorite bread.
I prefer a bread with sprouted wheat, but it is delicious on anything from a ciabatta bun to plain white sandwich bread.
Enjoy these sandwiches with a tall glass of milk and fresh tomatoes from the garden.
Demaree Hill has a bachelor's degree in communication from the University of Utah. She works fulltime for a wholesale distributor and is a wife and a mother of four.
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- Wyoming ranked third in US in percentage of...
- Motherhood Matters: When there is nothing...
- The top 10 dream colleges in 2015
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- The Clean Cut: Time-lapse video captures...
- What accounts for the cinematic generation gap?
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood... 57
- What makes marriage hard? These 5... 18
- 5 underrated Disney movies 17
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy... 9
- Teens may be even more distracted... 4
- What accounts for the cinematic... 3
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I... 3
- Wyoming ranked third in US in... 2