Grandma's cheese sandwiches are a tradition at family gatherings
Editor's note: In celebration of Pioneer Day, the Deseret News asked for recipes that have been passed down in a family.
Delicious and simple, my maternal grandmother’s cheese sandwiches are a great addition to your summer picnic plans. When I was a little girl, I remember visiting my grandma and begging her to make these fabulous sandwiches. They are a wonderful combination of flavors from simple ingredients that are easy to keep on hand.
When I began to have children of my own, I wanted to keep the tradition of grandma’s cheese sandwiches. My mother makes them for all of her grandkids, and I feel a sense of nostalgia every time I see her slicing them into four perfect squares, just like her own mother did.
This custom has evolved into not only a summertime favorite but also a year-round treat. Every Easter, next to our deviled eggs and celery sticks, you’ll find cheese sandwiches. In the fall, we eat them as hors d’oeuvres for football games or as an after-school snack.
Grandma's Cheese Sandwiches
There is no real recipe or instructions for this meal if you want to make it the way grandma did. Here is a general reconstruction of the recipe.
3 cups medium or sharp cheddar cheese, grated
3 tablespoons chopped dill pickle
3 tablespoons grated onion (white or yellow)
1½ tablespoons pickle juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
Grate medium or sharp cheddar into a bowl and add these to your own personal taste: chopped dill pickle, grated onion (white or yellow), chopped pimento and pickle juice. Slowly add Miracle Whip until the cheese sticks together. Season with a little salt and pepper, and spread on your favorite bread.
I prefer a bread with sprouted wheat, but it is delicious on anything from a ciabatta bun to plain white sandwich bread.
Enjoy these sandwiches with a tall glass of milk and fresh tomatoes from the garden.
Demaree Hill has a bachelor's degree in communication from the University of Utah. She works fulltime for a wholesale distributor and is a wife and a mother of four.
- Elizabeth Smart on 'Today': 'Life couldn't be...
- The Clean Cut: 'Duck Dynasty' daughter dances...
- One-third of Utah kids risk becoming...
- What kids crave in a relationship with a...
- Clean Cut: '20 things we should say more often'
- Meet the sandwich generation caring for aging...
- An 'unlikely father of five': Comedian Jim...
- SNL turns 40: 10 family friendly skits from...
- TV is reshaping what it means to be a... 10
- One-third of Utah kids risk becoming... 9
- Interracial marriages on the rise, but... 7
- Health care system can make dying... 5
- The holy grail of community design 2
- 'Frozen' Disney World ride plans upset... 2
- SNL turns 40: 10 family friendly skits... 2
- Is preschool worth the money? 2