A hunt for pioneer-era cookie recipes did not prove futile.
Makes: 4 dozen cookies
4 cups whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups finely chopped apples
2 cups raisins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.
Mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and allspice in a medium bowl. Place brown sugar and butter in a large bowl and cream together. Add vanilla and eggs to butter mixture and beat until well mixed and creamy.
Stir in the dry ingredients and then fold in the apples and raisins. Mix well.
Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets and bake 10 to 12 minutes. Do not overbake. You can test for doneness by inserting a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cookies are done.
Store in an airtight container. These freeze well.
First-place winner in the cookies category in the Deseret News' "Pioneer Recipes: Featuring Favorite Dishes of the Mountain West," published in 1950.
Makes: 3½ dozen cookies
2 cups raisins
2/3 cup water
½ cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 teaspoon cloves
1/3 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup rolled oats
Boil together raisins and water for two minutes. Drain off water into cup to make 1/3 cup liquid and reserve for cookies.
Cream together sugar and shortening and beat in eggs. Sift together dry ingredients and add to shortening mixture along with 1/3 cup raisin liquid, rolled oats and raisins. Nuts and vanilla may be added.
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes.
Variation: Recipe testers thought grated orange rind made a nice variation to this recipe.
History: This is a cookie recipe I pioneered myself from an old spice raisin cake of my mother's. I renamed it for my little girl and also in memory of her grandmother.
— recipe by Mrs. Harvey L. Price, "Pioneer Recipes"
- Wright Words: What I learned on a trail near...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 keys to a great family...
- Is this TV show a 'game changer for people...
- 4 tips for planning a successful family hike
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Top parenting ideas,...
- Simple cheese and chive baguettes dress up...
- Arianne Brown: A taste of humble pie and ice...
- The Clean Cut: 91-year-old widow chooses...
- LDS family runs a nonalcoholic apple... 7
- Amy Iverson: Showing kids how to make... 6
- Wright Words: What I learned on a trail... 4
- The Clean Cut: 91-year-old widow... 2
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: Lessons from sending... 2
- Motherhood Matters: Don't fix the pains... 2
- Family rallies support for Utah man... 2
- Heart-pounding 'Jason Bourne' makes the... 1