A hunt for pioneer-era cookie recipes did not prove futile.
Makes: 4 dozen cookies
4 cups whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups finely chopped apples
2 cups raisins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.
Mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and allspice in a medium bowl. Place brown sugar and butter in a large bowl and cream together. Add vanilla and eggs to butter mixture and beat until well mixed and creamy.
Stir in the dry ingredients and then fold in the apples and raisins. Mix well.
Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets and bake 10 to 12 minutes. Do not overbake. You can test for doneness by inserting a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cookies are done.
Store in an airtight container. These freeze well.
First-place winner in the cookies category in the Deseret News' "Pioneer Recipes: Featuring Favorite Dishes of the Mountain West," published in 1950.
Makes: 3½ dozen cookies
2 cups raisins
2/3 cup water
½ cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 teaspoon cloves
1/3 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup rolled oats
Boil together raisins and water for two minutes. Drain off water into cup to make 1/3 cup liquid and reserve for cookies.
Cream together sugar and shortening and beat in eggs. Sift together dry ingredients and add to shortening mixture along with 1/3 cup raisin liquid, rolled oats and raisins. Nuts and vanilla may be added.
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes.
Variation: Recipe testers thought grated orange rind made a nice variation to this recipe.
History: This is a cookie recipe I pioneered myself from an old spice raisin cake of my mother's. I renamed it for my little girl and also in memory of her grandmother.
— recipe by Mrs. Harvey L. Price, "Pioneer Recipes"
- Do we really need milk?
- Motherhood Matters: What if I don’t...
- Your triplets just got even more special
- UTubers: Imagine Dragons releases new song,...
- The Clean Cut: Girl asks boy with Down...
- Baby's introduction to food may include some...
- The Clean Cut: Christian musician releases...
- Utah woman is a finalist on Hallmark...
- Do we really need milk? 20
- Millennials reject capitalism and... 11
- After more than 6 years, 3 families... 11
- 'Biggest Losers' show why we regain... 6
- Terminating parental rights: State... 2
- UTubers: Imagine Dragons releases new... 2
- Motherhood Matters: What if I... 2
- Baby's introduction to food may include... 1