COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — A boy playing with a lighter was believed to have started a two-alarm fire that destroyed a home Tuesday.
Just after 1 p.m., crews were called to 7435 S. Butler Hills Drive (2215 East) on a report of a house fire. A man and his grandson had safely gotten out of the house by the time firefighters arrived, said Unified Fire Authority spokesman Brian Anderton.
"With the extent of fire damage, it's looking like it's pretty much a complete loss," he said.
The fire was believed to have been started by the grandson playing with a lighter in the basement, Anderton said.
"It did go extremely quickly," he said of the rapidly moving flames. "When everything reaches a certain temperature, it just spontaneously combusts. That's what we suspect happened here. We had a couple of rooms that flashed over and spread extremely quickly. There's no injuries to the residents or fire crews, so in that regard it's a good outcome."
— Pat Reavy
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Primary Children's Hospital chaplains laugh,...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18