'Batkid Begins' documentary inspired by 5-year-old boy who beat cancer
Jeff Chiu, Associated Press
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. — Faith in humanity swept the nation last November when San Franciscans helped turn their city into Gotham for 5-year-old Miles Scott, also known as Batkid.
Near the end of Scott's treatments for leukemia, he asked the Make-A-Wish Foundation in the Greater Bay Area if he could become Batman for a day.
On Nov. 15, Batkid rode in the Batmobile, saved a damsel in distress and received a key to the city, all while the nation tuned into the heartwarming story.
So far, more than $40,000 has been raised.
Dana Nachman will be the filmmaker, and funds from the Indigogo project will be used to capture aerial shots and pay for music, special effects and film graphics, according to Paste Magazine.
The documentary will take a closer look at Batkid's life and his fight with cancer, and it will include interviews with Hans Zimmer, who composed the "Dark Knight" theme song, members from Make-A-Wish and people who helped make the wish come true.
"Miles has always been a fighter. He fought through cancer; he beat that. And I think it just goes hand-in-hand that he's a fan of not only Batman but superheroes in general," Batkid's dad Nick said in the documentary's trailer.
A panel of the documentary contributors will reveal more about the film at San Diego's Comic-Con July 27.
Megan Marsden Christensen writes for the Faith and Family sections. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- UTubers: Vocal Point director, mom dance to...
- Brooke Romney: Why we are taking the fun out...
- This is what you look like to a newborn baby
- Beat the heat: 33 free splash pads in Utah
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: From 'America's Got...
- UTubers: Lindsey Stirling posts video of...
- BYU's Vocal Point hopes to 'uplift and...
- The U.S. women’s national soccer team...
- When Satan steals your motherhood 85
- Brooke Romney: Why we are taking the... 42
- Behind the rapid shift in public... 26
- LDS musician Alex Boyé thrills... 5
- This is what you look like to a newborn... 2
- An 'all-American tradition': Fourth of... 2
- Schwarzenegger and Co. play the... 1
- 'Terminator Genisys': 3 points for parents 1