Convicted neighborhood watch shooter Reggie Campos released from prison
Alan Neeves, Deseret News
UTAH STATE PRISON — A man convicted in the shooting of a neighborhood watchman in Bluffdale nearly four years ago was released from prison on Tuesday.
Reggie Campos, 44, shot David Serbeck on July 22, 2009, and pointed his gun at another man who was with Serbeck during a late-night confrontation in the middle of a street in their Bluffdale neighborhood. Campos, a licensed CPA, said he believed a stranger was pursuing his frightened teenage daughter. He claimed he was acting in self-defense. Serbeck said he was simply doing a neighborhood watch patrol.
Campos was originally convicted of attempted murder and aggravated assault and sentenced to up to five years in prison. His attempted murder conviction was overturned in 2013. Campos worked out a plea deal with prosecutors so that he was re-charged with discharge of a firearm, a second-degree felony, for shooting Serbeck and immediately pleaded guilty.
On Tuesday, Campos was picked up by his brother at the Utah State Prison. He decided not to address members of the media waiting outside the prison nearby. His brother said he may release a statement later.
Serbeck, who was paralyzed from the shooting, remained in prison Tuesday. After the Campos trial was over, Serbeck was convicted in 2012 on three counts of unlawful sex with a minor, a 17-year-old neighbor girl. His next parole hearing is scheduled for 2015.
— Pat Reavy
- 'A little dating community': Marriages emerge...
- Logan couple killed, baby survives in auto...
- A look at the '12 religious freedom...
- BYU conference explores what's next for...
- Car hydroplanes, pushes stranded vehicle on...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Refurbished furniture carving out business...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- BYU conference explores what's next for... 84
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 54
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 42
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 39
- A look at the '12 religious freedom... 27
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with... 12
- Logan couple killed, baby survives in... 12
- New analysis points to governor's... 12