Convicted neighborhood watch shooter Reggie Campos released from prison
Alan Neeves, Deseret News
UTAH STATE PRISON — A man convicted in the shooting of a neighborhood watchman in Bluffdale nearly four years ago was released from prison on Tuesday.
Reggie Campos, 44, shot David Serbeck on July 22, 2009, and pointed his gun at another man who was with Serbeck during a late-night confrontation in the middle of a street in their Bluffdale neighborhood. Campos, a licensed CPA, said he believed a stranger was pursuing his frightened teenage daughter. He claimed he was acting in self-defense. Serbeck said he was simply doing a neighborhood watch patrol.
Campos was originally convicted of attempted murder and aggravated assault and sentenced to up to five years in prison. His attempted murder conviction was overturned in 2013. Campos worked out a plea deal with prosecutors so that he was re-charged with discharge of a firearm, a second-degree felony, for shooting Serbeck and immediately pleaded guilty.
On Tuesday, Campos was picked up by his brother at the Utah State Prison. He decided not to address members of the media waiting outside the prison nearby. His brother said he may release a statement later.
Serbeck, who was paralyzed from the shooting, remained in prison Tuesday. After the Campos trial was over, Serbeck was convicted in 2012 on three counts of unlawful sex with a minor, a 17-year-old neighbor girl. His next parole hearing is scheduled for 2015.
— Pat Reavy
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- What went right: How one Orem family turned...
- Salt Lake County cities, school districts...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- Herriman man says his brain tumor felt like a...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 48
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 37
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 33
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 16
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12
- Salt Lake police looking for horses,... 10
- Survey: Utah residents want crops, not... 10
- National report shows high overall... 9