Chuckie Keeton named MW preseason offensive player of the year
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
LAS VEGAS — Expect a huge comeback season for Utah State quarterback Chuckie Keeton.
At least that was the media members of the Mountain West Conference said with their votes. The 2014 All-Mountain West preseason football team was announced Tuesday as part of the conference's media days. Keeton, a senior returning from season-ending ACL tear last season, was named the offensive player of the year.
The media named Fresno State senior Derron Smith defensive player of the year while New Mexico junior kick returner Carlos Wiggins was picked as the top special teams player.
Keeton, who was on pace for a monster season as a junior (18 touchdowns and two interceptions in six games) when he hurt his knee against BYU in 2013, will try to lead the Aggies to a Mountain Division title in 2014.
According to the MW media members, they'll have to get past favorite Boise State. The 33 members picked the Broncos to finish No. 1 with 20 first-place votes. USU earned 12 first-place votes and is predicted to take second.
In the West Division, Fresno State was picked as a slight favorite over San Diego State, 174-172 (both received 15 first-place votes).
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 105
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 19