Chuckie Keeton named MW preseason offensive player of the year
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
LAS VEGAS — Expect a huge comeback season for Utah State quarterback Chuckie Keeton.
At least that was the media members of the Mountain West Conference said with their votes. The 2014 All-Mountain West preseason football team was announced Tuesday as part of the conference's media days. Keeton, a senior returning from season-ending ACL tear last season, was named the offensive player of the year.
The media named Fresno State senior Derron Smith defensive player of the year while New Mexico junior kick returner Carlos Wiggins was picked as the top special teams player.
Keeton, who was on pace for a monster season as a junior (18 touchdowns and two interceptions in six games) when he hurt his knee against BYU in 2013, will try to lead the Aggies to a Mountain Division title in 2014.
According to the MW media members, they'll have to get past favorite Boise State. The 33 members picked the Broncos to finish No. 1 with 20 first-place votes. USU earned 12 first-place votes and is predicted to take second.
In the West Division, Fresno State was picked as a slight favorite over San Diego State, 174-172 (both received 15 first-place votes).
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 56
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37