Chuckie Keeton named MW preseason offensive player of the year
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
LAS VEGAS — Expect a huge comeback season for Utah State quarterback Chuckie Keeton.
At least that was the media members of the Mountain West Conference said with their votes. The 2014 All-Mountain West preseason football team was announced Tuesday as part of the conference's media days. Keeton, a senior returning from season-ending ACL tear last season, was named the offensive player of the year.
The media named Fresno State senior Derron Smith defensive player of the year while New Mexico junior kick returner Carlos Wiggins was picked as the top special teams player.
Keeton, who was on pace for a monster season as a junior (18 touchdowns and two interceptions in six games) when he hurt his knee against BYU in 2013, will try to lead the Aggies to a Mountain Division title in 2014.
According to the MW media members, they'll have to get past favorite Boise State. The 33 members picked the Broncos to finish No. 1 with 20 first-place votes. USU earned 12 first-place votes and is predicted to take second.
In the West Division, Fresno State was picked as a slight favorite over San Diego State, 174-172 (both received 15 first-place votes).
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- High school All-Sports awards: Davis, Maple...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 45
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 33
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 10
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7
- Utah State basketball: Aggie men to... 6