I hate to bring up the modesty “debate” again, but my parents are insisting that my leggings are immodest. My mom claims they’re see-through (they aren’t) and that I’m disrespecting my body by allowing everyone to “see me like that!” People wear leggings all the time. They’re just as tight as skinny jeans, which my mom wears herself! I don’t get what the big deal is. Am I being immodest by wearing leggings? Or is my mom being totally unreasonable?
Modesty is a virtue — not a fashion statement. The important thing is not what you’re wearing, but your attitude. Ask yourself these questions before you do anything, including getting dressed: Are you representing yourself as a child of God? Are you representing yourself as a member of his church? If you can answer these questions positively, then you’re acting with modesty in mind — whether you’re wearing leggings or a poncho.
If you’re looking for specifics, there are guidelines about what to wear and what not to wear in pamphlets like For the Strength of Youth. At the same time, it doesn’t mention everything. That’s why having an attitude of modesty is so important. With an attitude of modesty, you can use your own agency to decide how to dress and behave.
With that said, you’re living under your parents' roof, and they’re paying for 50 percent or more of your living expenses. Therefore, they get a say in what you wear. So, if the rule of the house is no leggings, then no leggings.
Reasonable or not, modest or not.
If it’s any consolation, at least someone cares enough to make sure you’re not wearing see-through pants.
Angela Trusty is a millennial writer who lives and writes about the young adult Mormon experience. Twitter: askange_column
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- Pope Francis: The world's at war, but not a...
- Pope visits Auschwitz in silence, meets...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your kids to...
- President Uchtdorf visits refugees; presents...
- President Uchtdorf presents $3 million to...
- Elder LeGrand R. Curtis Jr. addresses 'A...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 44
- President Uchtdorf visits refugees;... 35
- Democrats and Republicans double-down... 31
- 'Duck Dynasty' star: Media,... 26
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 22
- Defending the Faith: The 18th annual... 19
- Can Hillary Clinton finally close the... 17
- The Clean Cut: New BYU football video... 15