Alex Brandon, AP
SALT LAKE CITY — Officially, Trevor Booker is on the books with the Utah Jazz.
Booker, a 6-8 power forward, formalized the deal with the Jazz on Monday, signing a contract that could be worth $10 million over the next two seasons. He'll make $5 million in 2014-15 and could make that much in 2015-16, but his salary isn't fully guaranteed in the second season.
Jazz management believes Booker will give the team some needed interior toughness and will work well within new coach Quin Snyder's system as a big man who can drive with the ball.
"He competes," Snyder recently said of the 26-year-old. "That's the main thing you can say about him. He competes. And for a coach and a team, that’s essential."
Booker, who played at Clemson, averaged 6.4 points and 5.1 rebounds in four seasons with the Wizards. He was drafted 23rd overall by Minnesota in 2010, gaining recognition as the first senior picked in that class before being traded to Washington.
Snyder said he likes the “motor” of the 235-pounder, who will play a backup role behind Enes Kanter and Derrick Favors.
"There’s a toughness about him," Snyder added.
Booker led Washington in shooting in 2013-14 with a field goal percentage of .551.
Booker's signing gives the Jazz 11 players under contract, including a handful of bigs: Favors, Kanter, Rudy Gobert, Jeremy Evans and Steve Novak.
The Newberry, South Carolina, native remains ranked in the top five in scoring and rebounding overall at Clemson, where he put up 1,725 points and grabbed 1,060 rebounds from 2006-10. The forward, who was South Carolina's Gatorade High School player of the year in 2006, averaged double-figure scoring all four seasons for the Tigers.
Booker expressed his excitement for beginning the next chapter in his career through social media on Monday. On Instagram (35_Fitz), he posted a photo of himself signing his contract with the message: "It's Official!!! Utah It's time to work!!!!"
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected 75-68...
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Jazz beat Clippers 102-91 to snap 13-game...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU-Utah State is a rivalry again due to...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 57
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 49
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 41
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35