Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News Archives
OGDEN — A wildfire that forced the evacuation of 10 to 20 homes had burned an estimated 50 acres by Sunday afternoon.
But fire officials said the blaze was burning in steep, rocky terrain, and the immediate threat to structures had passed. As of 6:30 p.m. Sunday, the fire was 70 percent contained.
The Indian Fire broke out east of Ogden about 8 p.m. near 1999 Canyon Road.
"The fire was initially above the 21st Street trailhead in the vicinity of the Indian Trail, before spreading to the north, then south. Strong canyon winds made suppression challenging for crews," said Ogden Deputy Fire Chief Eric Bauman.
"(Saturday) night we had 10 to 20 homes evacuated and the power was shut off because the fire was near some power lines, but that was all restored and everyone was let back in their homes," U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman Kim Osborn said. "Currently there’s no imminent threat to homes right now."
Bauman said homes in the Buchanan area from 1850 South to 22nd Street were evacuated as a precaution.
Fire crews and police officers from Ogden, Weber County, South Ogden and Riverdale responded to the fire, Osborn said, with added assistance from the Red Cross.
"There was a lot of collaboration and multi-agencies here (Saturday) night. We all work together when we have a fire like that," she said.
Two helicopters and 20-person hand crew were on the scene Sunday afternoon trying to contain the fire, Osborn said.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation. Officials are asking people to stay out of the area until the fire is out.
"It’s a highly used recreational area with mountain biking and hiking, and we’ve just got a lot of equipment and a fire that’s uncontained. We don’t want people in there," Osborn said.
Fireworks are not allowed in national forests, she said, and people need to aware of their surroundings when smoking or camping with a fire to avoid such situations.
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Utah GOP all in for Cruz, but Trump... 59
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 48
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 36
- Climate change and national forests:... 28
- Utah GOP leaders ready to support... 27
- GOP primary in governor's race now... 24
- Robert F. Bennett, former three-term... 23
- S.L. City Council unsure what to expect... 21