Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News Archives
OGDEN — A wildfire that forced the evacuation of 10 to 20 homes had burned an estimated 50 acres by Sunday afternoon.
But fire officials said the blaze was burning in steep, rocky terrain, and the immediate threat to structures had passed. As of 6:30 p.m. Sunday, the fire was 70 percent contained.
The Indian Fire broke out east of Ogden about 8 p.m. near 1999 Canyon Road.
"The fire was initially above the 21st Street trailhead in the vicinity of the Indian Trail, before spreading to the north, then south. Strong canyon winds made suppression challenging for crews," said Ogden Deputy Fire Chief Eric Bauman.
"(Saturday) night we had 10 to 20 homes evacuated and the power was shut off because the fire was near some power lines, but that was all restored and everyone was let back in their homes," U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman Kim Osborn said. "Currently there’s no imminent threat to homes right now."
Bauman said homes in the Buchanan area from 1850 South to 22nd Street were evacuated as a precaution.
Fire crews and police officers from Ogden, Weber County, South Ogden and Riverdale responded to the fire, Osborn said, with added assistance from the Red Cross.
"There was a lot of collaboration and multi-agencies here (Saturday) night. We all work together when we have a fire like that," she said.
Two helicopters and 20-person hand crew were on the scene Sunday afternoon trying to contain the fire, Osborn said.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation. Officials are asking people to stay out of the area until the fire is out.
"It’s a highly used recreational area with mountain biking and hiking, and we’ve just got a lot of equipment and a fire that’s uncontained. We don’t want people in there," Osborn said.
Fireworks are not allowed in national forests, she said, and people need to aware of their surroundings when smoking or camping with a fire to avoid such situations.
- Father raises awareness of congenital defect...
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- About Utah: Big-time golf in little ol'...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Officials tackling existing, expected...
- Head of Salt Lake Catholic diocese named...
- Family wins security system, keeps son on...
- Utah's Tibetan community prays, mourns for...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 62
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 58
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 50
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 22
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 21
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Utah high school students unprepared... 16
- Poll: 'Undecided' tops Utah Republican... 15