Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
OGDEN — Search and rescue crews recovered the body of a teenage girl from Pineview Reservoir on Saturday.
Deputies were called to the Anderson Cove area around 3 p.m. when a fisherman on the shore said he "hooked into something that broke his line" and then noticed the body out in the water, Weber County Sheriff's Sgt. Lane Findlay said. Officials did not release the 16-year-old girl's name Saturday, but said she was a runaway who was believed to be suicidal.
Alejandro Oviedo and his family came to the popular recreation area to enjoy the lake and ride their wave runners. But he said a boy fishing caught everyone's eye when he hooked his line on what appeared to be a person swimming.
"We thought he was OK, and so we just left," Oviedo said, referring to the person seen in the water.
The boy's parents alerted other beachgoers and authorities in the area.
Findlay said reports were also made by other beachgoers in the area, prompting seven divers and 15 search and rescue personnel to respond.
Findlay said specialized dive teams from Weber County search and rescue spent two hours searching before locating the body in 15 feet of water near the beach where it had been seen.
It is unknown how long the body had been in the water or how the individual died. There were no reports of anyone missing at the reservoir.
"This is our first incident this year," Findlay said.
The death remains under investigation. Findlay said the body was turned over to the Utah Office of the Medical Examiner.
In addition to the divers and search and rescue efforts, two boats were deployed along with units from the Weber County Sheriff's Office marine patrol.
Contributing: Emiley Morgan
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Man shot, killed by Spanish Fork police...
- The 25 most educated cities in America: Where...
- Herriman man dies following fistfight with...
- Utah Highway Patrol trooper shot multiple...
- Fatal shot in standoff with West Jordan...
- A community comes together to support a...
- ACT scores, 2015: A breakdown of each state,...
- Pending divorce may have sparked brutal...
- Poll: Utahns would take Donald Trump... 77
- Planned Parenthood draws support,... 72
- GOP presidential candidate Jeb Bush has... 28
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 25
- Commissioner wants new trial as feds... 19
- Teen accused of murdering neighbor now... 18
- Man shot, killed by Spanish Fork police... 18
- UHP locates owner of doghouse that... 12