Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
OGDEN — Search and rescue crews recovered the body of a teenage girl from Pineview Reservoir on Saturday.
Deputies were called to the Anderson Cove area around 3 p.m. when a fisherman on the shore said he "hooked into something that broke his line" and then noticed the body out in the water, Weber County Sheriff's Sgt. Lane Findlay said. Officials did not release the 16-year-old girl's name Saturday, but said she was a runaway who was believed to be suicidal.
Alejandro Oviedo and his family came to the popular recreation area to enjoy the lake and ride their wave runners. But he said a boy fishing caught everyone's eye when he hooked his line on what appeared to be a person swimming.
"We thought he was OK, and so we just left," Oviedo said, referring to the person seen in the water.
The boy's parents alerted other beachgoers and authorities in the area.
Findlay said reports were also made by other beachgoers in the area, prompting seven divers and 15 search and rescue personnel to respond.
Findlay said specialized dive teams from Weber County search and rescue spent two hours searching before locating the body in 15 feet of water near the beach where it had been seen.
It is unknown how long the body had been in the water or how the individual died. There were no reports of anyone missing at the reservoir.
"This is our first incident this year," Findlay said.
The death remains under investigation. Findlay said the body was turned over to the Utah Office of the Medical Examiner.
In addition to the divers and search and rescue efforts, two boats were deployed along with units from the Weber County Sheriff's Office marine patrol.
Contributing: Emiley Morgan
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- About Utah: They go back to give back
- Are 'calm' South Jordan burglars tied to...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 68
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 46
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 40
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 36
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 27
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13