Humane Society offers reward in Syracuse horse shootings
SYRACUSE — A $5,000 reward is being offered by the Humane Society of Utah for information leading to the arrest and successful prosecution of the person or persons responsible for the recent shootings of four horses in Syracuse.
"This appears to be a deliberate and cruel act," Humane Society Executive Director Gene Baierschmidt said. "This kind of callous crime cannot go unchallenged. The Humane Society and our thousands of members want to see those responsible brought to justice."
The four horses were found shot in a pasture while their owners were out of town. The Davis County Sheriff's Office said Friday the horses were shot in their corral at 4000 W. 3000 South, at some point between July 12 and 15.
Someone is believed to have walked down a dead-end road to where the horses were, before locking them in the corral and shooting them, Davis County Sheriff's Sgt. Susan Poulsen said.
Poulsen said she hopes the reward offer will help authorities identify whoever is responsible for the shootings.
"If somebody potentially has information, that could bring them forward," she said. "We just hope there is somebody who knows something who would be willing to come forward with information."
Anyone with information about the shootings is asked to call the Davis County Sheriff's Office at 801-451-4150.
— Lisa Riley Roche
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Father raises awareness of congenital defect...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 61
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 47
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 21
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 21
- Utah high school students unprepared... 16
- Poll: 'Undecided' tops Utah Republican... 15