Humane Society offers reward in Syracuse horse shootings
SYRACUSE — A $5,000 reward is being offered by the Humane Society of Utah for information leading to the arrest and successful prosecution of the person or persons responsible for the recent shootings of four horses in Syracuse.
"This appears to be a deliberate and cruel act," Humane Society Executive Director Gene Baierschmidt said. "This kind of callous crime cannot go unchallenged. The Humane Society and our thousands of members want to see those responsible brought to justice."
The four horses were found shot in a pasture while their owners were out of town. The Davis County Sheriff's Office said Friday the horses were shot in their corral at 4000 W. 3000 South, at some point between July 12 and 15.
Someone is believed to have walked down a dead-end road to where the horses were, before locking them in the corral and shooting them, Davis County Sheriff's Sgt. Susan Poulsen said.
Poulsen said she hopes the reward offer will help authorities identify whoever is responsible for the shootings.
"If somebody potentially has information, that could bring them forward," she said. "We just hope there is somebody who knows something who would be willing to come forward with information."
Anyone with information about the shootings is asked to call the Davis County Sheriff's Office at 801-451-4150.
— Lisa Riley Roche
- Weighing in: The top 20 metro areas with the...
- Senate panel endorses anti-discrimination,...
- Defending the Faith: Exploring complexities...
- LDS Church, LGBT advocates back...
- Mom of slain girl says teen murder suspect...
- Bill requires county clerks to provide person...
- Looking back at 'The Bible': Why the...
- Gov. Herbert: 'Fight goes on' for Healthy Utah
- LDS Church, LGBT advocates back... 94
- Bill requires county clerks to provide... 59
- Defending the Faith: Exploring... 57
- Mitt Romney calls Utah GOP move to a... 49
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Gov. Herbert: 'Fight goes on' for... 29
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan 28
- House leaders counter Healthy Utah,... 28