BYU pitcher Kolton Mahoney doesn't sign with Brewers, impresses in Cape Cod League (+video)
The deadline for Major League Baseball teams to sign their 2014 draft picks has come and gone, and BYU pitcher Kolton Mahoney was left unsigned at the Friday afternoon deadline.
The Milwaukee Brewers drafted the righty in the 23rd round of the draft in June. He is coming off his sophomore season, where he put together a 6-6 record and 3.97 ERA in 16 appearances (13 starts) and 88 1/3 innings.
His most notable performance, however, came on March 6, when he tossed a no-hitter against Nicholls State.
No additional #Brewers draft signings today. Signed 26 draftees plus one undrafted player. Top 16 picks all signed.— Adam McCalvy (@AdamMcCalvy) July 18, 2014
Mahoney has spent this summer pitching for the Orleans (Massachusetts) Firebirds in the Cape Cod League, a premier amateur short-season baseball league in the New England region.
Mahoney has performed well in the league thus far, posting a 3-1 record, with a 1.73 ERA, 36 strikeouts and eight walks in 26 innings. His 12.5 strikeouts per nine innings is second on the team this season.
The Firebirds even posted a lighthearted video featuring Mahoney on Wednesday, where the pitcher answered questions from his favorite movie to more personal questions, such as the influence his family has on him.
“I look up to them a lot,” Mahoney said in the video. “My dad is always there for me to help me and teach me. When I do bad, he really gets on me and it kind of motivates me. My mom is always cheering for me and telling my dad to get off my back.
“My little brothers and my older brother are always my coaches. They’re helping me and teaching me everything. My little sister teaches me patience and cheering like my mom. I love it.”
The Cape Cod League continues until early August.
Mahoney also discussed in the video how impressed he is with the atmosphere in the short-season league.
“It’s so fun to play with guys who are just on the same level as me. It’s just super fun to hear stories from their colleges and their programs. It’s just so fun to be out here — the beaches are sweet and I love it out here.”
You can watch the entire video from the Orleans Firebirds in the video link above.
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- Utes drop out of national rankings following...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Brad Rock: Arizona teaches Utes about waiting
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 143
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 38
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 37
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 36
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 31
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 23
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21