Editor’s note: For fans of the British period drama “Downton Abbey,” the fifth season can’t come too soon. In the meantime, this is one of half a dozen books — both novels and nonfiction — that have crossed our desks that have an upstairs/downstairs drama, are set in a similar era or may be of interest to fans of the historical series.
"CAVENDON HALL," by Barbara Taylor Bradford, St. Martin's Press, $27.99, 406 pages (f)
The faithfulness, loyalties and friendship of two families — the Inghams and the Swanns — are tested in the captivating “Cavendon Hall,” set in Edwardian England prior to World War I.
The connection between the two families has roots extending hundreds of years. The Swanns have served the Ingham household since the First Earl of Mowbray adopted the family, allowing them to live on their land. Throughout time, and with each passing earl, the Ingham and the Swann households become intertwined in numerous ways.
There is heavy profanity toward the end of the novel from one angry character. Sex is a recurring theme, and several sexual encounters are detailed and referenced throughout the novel, including a rape.
Barbara Taylor Bradford was born in England, and “Cavendon Hall” is her 29th novel. She currently lives in New York City with her husband, Robert.
Micah Klug graduated with her bachelor’s degree in health care administration from Brigham Young University-Idaho. She currently resides in Rexburg, Idaho.
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Photos: Fall colors over Guardsman Pass
- Photos: Elton John brings 'All The Hits' to Utah
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video sentenced
- Actress detained by police refuses to apologize
- The latest ‘Godzilla’ reboot...
- ‘Big Bang Theory,’...
- Summer movie season wasn't so bad for 'the...
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 4
- Millennials read more books than their... 3
- The complicated relationship between... 3
- Two big reasons to buy comic books for... 2
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream... 2
- Actress detained by police refuses to... 1
- Erin Stewart: How to survive your... 1