Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple parenting ideas that work
My friend Tricia recently took some parenting classes when she certified to become a foster parent.
“What did they teach you?” I asked.
She only had time to discuss a few of her many pearls of wisdom, but three of her tips have already made a huge difference in my mothering.
So now I’m sharing them with you.
You can either click here to listen to a four-minute podcast of our conversation, or you can read the synopsis below.
1. Children need a minimum of eight touches during a day to feel connected to a parent.
If they’re going through a particularly challenging time, it’s a minimum of 12 a day. This doesn’t have to be a big deal; it could be the straightening of a collar, a pat on the shoulder or a simple hug.
2. Each day, children need one meaningful eye-to-eye conversation with a parent.
It is especially important for babies to have that eye contact, but children of all ages need us to slow down and look them in the eyes.
3. There are nine minutes during the day that have the greatest impact on a child:
- the first three minutes right after they wake up
- the three minutes after they come home from school
- the last three minutes of the day before they go to bed
These are simple, right? Nothing really earth-shattering here.
But try it. For a month. And then I think you’ll see what I’m talking about. I honestly didn’t realize how much I could improve in this area, and though I still have lots of room for improvement, I can see myself becoming a better mom.
This article is courtesy of Power of Moms, an online gathering place for deliberate mothers.
- LDS dad among finalists for Doritos Super...
- Australian mom removes heavy makeup from...
- Family motto helps LDS couple put parenting...
- Book review: Young widow's memoir presents a...
- Motherhood Matters: What I learned from...
- 12 Disney movies that are coming out in 2015
- Are you part of the global 'baby shortage'?
- Reader voices: The loss of a dog
- Are you part of the global 'baby... 10
- Australian mom removes heavy makeup... 10
- LDS dad among finalists for Doritos... 5
- Want your child to eat more fruits and... 4
- Sherry Young: Nostalgia, airplanes and... 4
- Motherhood Matters: To grouchy moms... 4
- Does taking advantage of family leave... 4
- Family motto helps LDS couple put... 4