Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple parenting ideas that work
My friend Tricia recently took some parenting classes when she certified to become a foster parent.
“What did they teach you?” I asked.
She only had time to discuss a few of her many pearls of wisdom, but three of her tips have already made a huge difference in my mothering.
So now I’m sharing them with you.
You can either click here to listen to a four-minute podcast of our conversation, or you can read the synopsis below.
1. Children need a minimum of eight touches during a day to feel connected to a parent.
If they’re going through a particularly challenging time, it’s a minimum of 12 a day. This doesn’t have to be a big deal; it could be the straightening of a collar, a pat on the shoulder or a simple hug.
2. Each day, children need one meaningful eye-to-eye conversation with a parent.
It is especially important for babies to have that eye contact, but children of all ages need us to slow down and look them in the eyes.
3. There are nine minutes during the day that have the greatest impact on a child:
- the first three minutes right after they wake up
- the three minutes after they come home from school
- the last three minutes of the day before they go to bed
These are simple, right? Nothing really earth-shattering here.
But try it. For a month. And then I think you’ll see what I’m talking about. I honestly didn’t realize how much I could improve in this area, and though I still have lots of room for improvement, I can see myself becoming a better mom.
This article is courtesy of Power of Moms, an online gathering place for deliberate mothers.
- Scammers take more than money when they...
- Centerville’s July 4th celebration...
- UTubers: LDS family, Peter Hollens create...
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with...
- Mobile farmers market to serve 'food desert'...
- Erin Stewart: 5 tips for moms to survive and...
- Child rescue from hot car is second Utah case...
- West Valley mom creates special needs...
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- Family searches for answers after... 11
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: How to get happiness... 4
- Spielberg's 'The BFG' meanders its way... 3
- Scammers take more than money when they... 2
- Erin Stewart: 5 tips for moms to... 2
- Dave Ramsey: Navigating the line... 2
- West Valley mom creates special needs... 1