Free tickets for Ogden LDS Temple open house available online Monday
Deseret News archives, LDSChurch
OGDEN — Reservations for free tickets to the Ogden Utah LDS Temple open house will be available online beginning Monday morning.
People can begin making reservations that day at 10 a.m. at templeopenhouse.lds.org.
The open house is a tradition of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and allows the public to enter LDS temples before they are dedicated.
Typically, tens of thousands take advantage of the opportunity to view a temple during an open house and learn about what goes on in the faith's holiest buildings.
Except for Sundays, the Ogden Temple open house will run from Aug. 1 through Sept. 6, when the temple will be closed to the public.
The Ogden Temple was dedicated in 1972 as the 14th operating temple of the church and the fifth in Utah. It was closed in April 2011 for extensive renovations.
The church now has 143 operating temples and 13 in Utah.
The temple has undergone an extreme makeover. One church leader said the work would make it appear like a brand-new temple. Another said that coupled with the renovation of the neighboring Ogden Tabernacle, the area would become to some an Ogden Temple Square.
Prior to closing for renovation, the Ogden Temple had been one of the busiest, highly utilized temples in the LDS Church.
Latter-day Saint temples aren't for Sunday worship. That takes place in the church's meetinghouses and chapels, the hub of congregational worship and activity.
Temples are reserved for the highest and most sacred ordinances, such as marriage. Latter-day Saints believe temple marriages, or sealings, join families together for eternity.
Temples also are a place for church members to learn more about the purpose of life and to make promises to serve Jesus Christ and others.
- All 4 of Joseph Smith's firsthand accounts of...
- Mormon humanitarian Bishnu Adhikari, family...
- LDS Church to create Central Eurasian Mission...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't capture...
- President Uchtdorf speaks at inaugural John...
- 21 Shakespeare quotes shared in LDS general...
- Head of Salt Lake Catholic diocese named...
- Forbes contributor: What entrepreneurs,...
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting... 122
- Defending the Faith: Warfare and the... 72
- All 4 of Joseph Smith's firsthand... 65
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't... 35
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 22
- 5 professional athletes who stand up... 22
- Faith leaders call for religious... 18
- Utah woman produces her own Book of... 16