Free tickets for Ogden LDS Temple open house available online Monday
Deseret News archives, LDSChurch
OGDEN — Reservations for free tickets to the Ogden Utah LDS Temple open house will be available online beginning Monday morning.
People can begin making reservations that day at 10 a.m. at templeopenhouse.lds.org.
The open house is a tradition of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and allows the public to enter LDS temples before they are dedicated.
Typically, tens of thousands take advantage of the opportunity to view a temple during an open house and learn about what goes on in the faith's holiest buildings.
Except for Sundays, the Ogden Temple open house will run from Aug. 1 through Sept. 6, when the temple will be closed to the public.
The Ogden Temple was dedicated in 1972 as the 14th operating temple of the church and the fifth in Utah. It was closed in April 2011 for extensive renovations.
The church now has 143 operating temples and 13 in Utah.
The temple has undergone an extreme makeover. One church leader said the work would make it appear like a brand-new temple. Another said that coupled with the renovation of the neighboring Ogden Tabernacle, the area would become to some an Ogden Temple Square.
Prior to closing for renovation, the Ogden Temple had been one of the busiest, highly utilized temples in the LDS Church.
Latter-day Saint temples aren't for Sunday worship. That takes place in the church's meetinghouses and chapels, the hub of congregational worship and activity.
Temples are reserved for the highest and most sacred ordinances, such as marriage. Latter-day Saints believe temple marriages, or sealings, join families together for eternity.
Temples also are a place for church members to learn more about the purpose of life and to make promises to serve Jesus Christ and others.
- Would BYU honor code be better with an...
- Faith and fame: Former 'Dancing With the...
- Elder and Sister Renlund speak during BYU...
- LDS Church outlines how it prevents child...
- Mormon man's rap album hits No. 1 spot on...
- Sister Linda K. Burton speaks at BYU Women's...
- One year ago, founding member of SEAL Team...
- LDS Church hires assistant church historian...
- Would BYU honor code be better with an... 78
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Defending the Faith: Taking a 'Leap of... 36
- New poll finds Americans less likely to... 33
- ... 31
- Should your boss know that you keep the... 26
- Kasich calls for balance on gay rights,... 19
- The benefits some families see from... 16