The Bureau of Labor Statistics released an annual report tracking how much time Americans spend, on average, on various daily activities.
This year's report, released in June, shows that in 2013 Americans spent the bulk of their time doing what the BLS labels as "personal care activities." The bulk of those "personal care activities," however, is sleep. In fact, Americans spend an average of 8.74 hours a day sleeping (which the National Sleep Foundation would certainly approve of).
If sleep were to be excluded, "leisure activities and sports" would come out on top, with the average American spending 5.26 hours per day on such activities.
Work related activities come in third, with the average American clocking in 3.46 hours of work per day. It's important to note that, however, since most don't work weekends or holidays this doesn't necessarily indicate that the average American only actually works 3½ hours a day during the 9-to-5 workweek.
- 14 frivolous lawsuits against Disney, James...
- The poorest of the poor in many Third World...
- Balancing act: What is your ROI for seeking...
- 5 reasons you'll blow your holiday budget again
- UTA seeks to hire bus drivers, other workers
- Dave Ramsey says: Keep expectations clear...
- Americans still prefer male bosses
- Employers and job seekers might as well be...
- Studio C teams up with popular indie... 6
- Americans still prefer male bosses 6
- Pay raises are more rare despite strong... 3
- Facebook is now helping its female... 2
- The poorest of the poor in many Third... 1
- Utah jobless rate stays steady at 3.5... 1
- Dave Ramsey says: Keep expectations... 1
- Balancing act: What is your ROI for... 1