BYU freshman linebacker reportedly dismissed from football team
PROVO — A freshman linebacker who enrolled in classes last month has been booted off the team, according to a report.
Sione Takitaki, a 6-foot-3, 240-pound linebacker from Fontana, Calif., is no longer with the Cougars, Talo Steves of Totalbluesports.com reported Thursday.
No official announcement has been made regarding Takitaki's status.
According to the report, it is unclear if or when Takitaki will be able to re-enroll at BYU.
Takitaki was considered one of the top recruits in the Cougars' class of 2014, and he was expected to vie for playing time this season at inside linebacker.
A three-star prospect by ESPN.com, Scout.com and Rivals.com and 247Sports.com, Takitaki was rated the No. 24 prep inside linebacker in the country and the No. 49 overall prospect from California by ESPN.com.
Last fall, Takitaki led Heritage High to a 13-1 record. He recorded 81 tackles, including 74 solo tackles and 3.5 sacks. He also played offense at Heritage High, having rushed for 1,673 yards as a junior and senior.
In addition to BYU, Takitaki was recruited by Arizona, Boise State, Nevada, San Diego State, San Jose State, Utah, Washington State and Wisconsin.
The Cougars open fall camp Aug. 1.
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 105
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 70
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 49
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44