BYU freshman linebacker reportedly dismissed from football team
PROVO — A freshman linebacker who enrolled in classes last month has been booted off the team, according to a report.
Sione Takitaki, a 6-foot-3, 240-pound linebacker from Fontana, Calif., is no longer with the Cougars, Talo Steves of Totalbluesports.com reported Thursday.
No official announcement has been made regarding Takitaki's status.
According to the report, it is unclear if or when Takitaki will be able to re-enroll at BYU.
Takitaki was considered one of the top recruits in the Cougars' class of 2014, and he was expected to vie for playing time this season at inside linebacker.
A three-star prospect by ESPN.com, Scout.com and Rivals.com and 247Sports.com, Takitaki was rated the No. 24 prep inside linebacker in the country and the No. 49 overall prospect from California by ESPN.com.
Last fall, Takitaki led Heritage High to a 13-1 record. He recorded 81 tackles, including 74 solo tackles and 3.5 sacks. He also played offense at Heritage High, having rushed for 1,673 yards as a junior and senior.
In addition to BYU, Takitaki was recruited by Arizona, Boise State, Nevada, San Diego State, San Jose State, Utah, Washington State and Wisconsin.
The Cougars open fall camp Aug. 1.
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor Harding...
- Whittingham dishes on stadium expansion,...
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is...
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be Utah's...
- Utah Utes football: Ranking the best players...
- One mistake turned Utah native and Yankees...
- Cougars say they have learned lessons in wake...
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 77
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 65
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 60
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 48
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 32
- Utah Utes backup quarterback Donovan... 29