BYU freshman linebacker reportedly dismissed from football team
PROVO — A freshman linebacker who enrolled in classes last month has been booted off the team, according to a report.
Sione Takitaki, a 6-foot-3, 240-pound linebacker from Fontana, Calif., is no longer with the Cougars, Talo Steves of Totalbluesports.com reported Thursday.
No official announcement has been made regarding Takitaki's status.
According to the report, it is unclear if or when Takitaki will be able to re-enroll at BYU.
Takitaki was considered one of the top recruits in the Cougars' class of 2014, and he was expected to vie for playing time this season at inside linebacker.
A three-star prospect by ESPN.com, Scout.com and Rivals.com and 247Sports.com, Takitaki was rated the No. 24 prep inside linebacker in the country and the No. 49 overall prospect from California by ESPN.com.
Last fall, Takitaki led Heritage High to a 13-1 record. He recorded 81 tackles, including 74 solo tackles and 3.5 sacks. He also played offense at Heritage High, having rushed for 1,673 yards as a junior and senior.
In addition to BYU, Takitaki was recruited by Arizona, Boise State, Nevada, San Diego State, San Jose State, Utah, Washington State and Wisconsin.
The Cougars open fall camp Aug. 1.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 282
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 71
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 42
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 34