BYU freshman linebacker reportedly dismissed from football team
PROVO — A freshman linebacker who enrolled in classes last month has been booted off the team, according to a report.
Sione Takitaki, a 6-foot-3, 240-pound linebacker from Fontana, Calif., is no longer with the Cougars, Talo Steves of Totalbluesports.com reported Thursday.
No official announcement has been made regarding Takitaki's status.
According to the report, it is unclear if or when Takitaki will be able to re-enroll at BYU.
Takitaki was considered one of the top recruits in the Cougars' class of 2014, and he was expected to vie for playing time this season at inside linebacker.
A three-star prospect by ESPN.com, Scout.com and Rivals.com and 247Sports.com, Takitaki was rated the No. 24 prep inside linebacker in the country and the No. 49 overall prospect from California by ESPN.com.
Last fall, Takitaki led Heritage High to a 13-1 record. He recorded 81 tackles, including 74 solo tackles and 3.5 sacks. He also played offense at Heritage High, having rushed for 1,673 yards as a junior and senior.
In addition to BYU, Takitaki was recruited by Arizona, Boise State, Nevada, San Diego State, San Jose State, Utah, Washington State and Wisconsin.
The Cougars open fall camp Aug. 1.
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- BYU focusing on bowl game while players'...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- Lone Peak guard Frank Jackson drops...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 51
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 50
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 30
- Ute football team has boots on the... 28