Isaac Brekken, AP
LAS VEGAS — The Utah Jazz’s NBA Summer League tournament had a similar feel as the team’s last real playoff experience.
It was against the San Antonio Spurs.
And it didn’t last long.
Despite another strong outing by rookie Rodney Hood (19 points), the Jazz flailed in the fourth quarter en route to an 86-77 loss to San Antonio’s summer squad Thursday at the Thomas & Mack Center.
“We played hard. A few mistakes,” Jazz coach Quin Snyder said. “A close game (between) two good Summer-League teams. I think we did a good job.”
Forward Austin Daye scored 20 points and the Spurs, whose organization swept Utah out of the 2012 first round, used a 33-23 fourth quarter to eliminate the Jazz from the championship bracket.
“I think we’re on the right path,” Jazz point guard Trey Burke said. “I felt like we could’ve won this game. Too many turnovers (14) down there.”
Too many missed shots, too.
Burke (12 points, 5-of-18 shooting) and rookie Dante Exum (five points, 1 for 8) both had rough games as the Jazz shot just 41.3 percent from the field. Utah was 4 of 22 from 3-point range.
While the Spurs advanced to Saturday’s quarterfinals, the Jazz will wrap up their Summer League experience Friday (6:30 p.m. MDT) against the Blazers.
This will give the Jazz, who’ve been together for almost two weeks, one last chance to build relationships between players and coaches.
“It’s a process. I think a lot of it just begins with them trusting me and I’m going to coach them and me trusting them that they’re going to do the things we ask,” Snyder said. “Over time, I think people will tell you who they are. You know them by their actions as much as anything.”
Hood, who scored 29 points on Monday, hit seven of 11 shots and went 3-for-4 from 3-point range. The Jazz also got 18 points and eight rebounds from Washington State big man Brock Motum, who's played well this week.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah State caps historic season with win over...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28