Brad Rock: Decades later, equality still a problem for college sports
Consequently, she views Utah’s Pac-12 admission with skepticism, noting that with increased money, the talent rises. But it’s all relative. Utah started at a financial disadvantage, earning incremental TV money the first three years. Now it has more money, but less overall than many schools in the conference.
Then there’s the talk of BYU joining the Big 12. But there would be ongoing issues of whether college athletics are truly amateur, and whether other values would be compromised by conference admission.
“BYU would have to answer that same question — is it really a good move? I don’t know. We’ll see how it goes,” Carr says.
She didn’t leave SLCC because of the increasing difficulty of balancing budgets, she says, but “it’s absolutely a part of my thoughts.” Student-athletes who used to be grateful for tuition often expect lavish treatment. Just look at the multimillion-dollar football and basketball centers at Utah for proof.
“I’m all for giving them what they need to go to school, whatever that is but kids already get whatever they want," she says. "What more? What more? How many pairs of shoes do they need?”
For a handful of schools, the prosperity is staggering, but for most, it’s a daily struggle. It’s hard to miss the irony. Carr began her career fighting for equality. Yet in a money-driven world, in a different setting, college sports are still anything but equal.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @therockmonster; Blog: Rockmonster Unplugged
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- BYU football hosts 'Friday Night Lights'...
- Utah football: Booker's return lifts offense,...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Runnin' Utes take on Duke in Texas-sized venue
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date with...
- Utes to face Duke in the Sweet 16... 207
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 58
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill is making a... 31
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- It's Coach K vs. Coach K as Utah... 22
- Ogden chooses to play as an independent... 21