Brad Rock: Decades later, equality still a problem for college sports
Consequently, she views Utah’s Pac-12 admission with skepticism, noting that with increased money, the talent rises. But it’s all relative. Utah started at a financial disadvantage, earning incremental TV money the first three years. Now it has more money, but less overall than many schools in the conference.
Then there’s the talk of BYU joining the Big 12. But there would be ongoing issues of whether college athletics are truly amateur, and whether other values would be compromised by conference admission.
“BYU would have to answer that same question — is it really a good move? I don’t know. We’ll see how it goes,” Carr says.
She didn’t leave SLCC because of the increasing difficulty of balancing budgets, she says, but “it’s absolutely a part of my thoughts.” Student-athletes who used to be grateful for tuition often expect lavish treatment. Just look at the multimillion-dollar football and basketball centers at Utah for proof.
“I’m all for giving them what they need to go to school, whatever that is but kids already get whatever they want," she says. "What more? What more? How many pairs of shoes do they need?”
For a handful of schools, the prosperity is staggering, but for most, it’s a daily struggle. It’s hard to miss the irony. Carr began her career fighting for equality. Yet in a money-driven world, in a different setting, college sports are still anything but equal.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @therockmonster; Blog: Rockmonster Unplugged
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 79
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 65
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 53
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 29
- Pac-12 South: Bruins the favorite, but... 22