Brad Rock: Decades later, equality still a problem for college sports
Consequently, she views Utah’s Pac-12 admission with skepticism, noting that with increased money, the talent rises. But it’s all relative. Utah started at a financial disadvantage, earning incremental TV money the first three years. Now it has more money, but less overall than many schools in the conference.
Then there’s the talk of BYU joining the Big 12. But there would be ongoing issues of whether college athletics are truly amateur, and whether other values would be compromised by conference admission.
“BYU would have to answer that same question — is it really a good move? I don’t know. We’ll see how it goes,” Carr says.
She didn’t leave SLCC because of the increasing difficulty of balancing budgets, she says, but “it’s absolutely a part of my thoughts.” Student-athletes who used to be grateful for tuition often expect lavish treatment. Just look at the multimillion-dollar football and basketball centers at Utah for proof.
“I’m all for giving them what they need to go to school, whatever that is but kids already get whatever they want," she says. "What more? What more? How many pairs of shoes do they need?”
For a handful of schools, the prosperity is staggering, but for most, it’s a daily struggle. It’s hard to miss the irony. Carr began her career fighting for equality. Yet in a money-driven world, in a different setting, college sports are still anything but equal.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @therockmonster; Blog: Rockmonster Unplugged
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 64
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14