Police arrest hitchhiker who was shot as search for gunman continues
ST. GEORGE — A man who was shot and robbed Wednesday while hitchhiking to St. George has been arrested on outstanding warrants as police continued searching for the shooter Thursday.
Codi Jaye Norton, 21, was reportedly hitchhiking from Nevada to St. George with his girlfriend when the driver who picked them up stopped in Desert Springs, Arizona, near the Utah border early Wednesday.
While stopped, Norton and his girlfriend were robbed of about $200 by a white man in his 30s with long blond hair and a sunken face who shot Norton once in the hip and fled in a white car, according to the Mojave County Sheriff's Office.
The driver who had given Norton and his girlfriend a ride left them when the shot was fired.
A woman in the area let the stranded couple use her phone to call a friend, who came to pick them up in a white pickup truck. Norton didn't want the woman to call police, according to the sheriff's office.
A caller notified police about 12:30 p.m. Wednesday that a man who had been shot was leaving the Desert Springs area in a truck. Utah Highway Patrol troopers stopped the truck as it entered the state.
Norton was treated at Dixie Regional Medical Center before he was booked into the Washington County Jail on outstanding warrants.
A search of court records reveals that Norton pleaded guilty to theft by receiving stolen property, a third-degree felony, in 2011, as well as misdemeanor drug charges in 2011, 2012, 2013 and earlier this year.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call the Mohave County Sheriff’s Office at 1-800-522-4312 or 928-753-1234.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: McKenzieRomero
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 36
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 26