Police arrest hitchhiker who was shot as search for gunman continues
ST. GEORGE — A man who was shot and robbed Wednesday while hitchhiking to St. George has been arrested on outstanding warrants as police continued searching for the shooter Thursday.
Codi Jaye Norton, 21, was reportedly hitchhiking from Nevada to St. George with his girlfriend when the driver who picked them up stopped in Desert Springs, Arizona, near the Utah border early Wednesday.
While stopped, Norton and his girlfriend were robbed of about $200 by a white man in his 30s with long blond hair and a sunken face who shot Norton once in the hip and fled in a white car, according to the Mojave County Sheriff's Office.
The driver who had given Norton and his girlfriend a ride left them when the shot was fired.
A woman in the area let the stranded couple use her phone to call a friend, who came to pick them up in a white pickup truck. Norton didn't want the woman to call police, according to the sheriff's office.
A caller notified police about 12:30 p.m. Wednesday that a man who had been shot was leaving the Desert Springs area in a truck. Utah Highway Patrol troopers stopped the truck as it entered the state.
Norton was treated at Dixie Regional Medical Center before he was booked into the Washington County Jail on outstanding warrants.
A search of court records reveals that Norton pleaded guilty to theft by receiving stolen property, a third-degree felony, in 2011, as well as misdemeanor drug charges in 2011, 2012, 2013 and earlier this year.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call the Mohave County Sheriff’s Office at 1-800-522-4312 or 928-753-1234.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: McKenzieRomero
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Attorney general deciding whether to appeal...
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Police reviewing possible nightclub photos of...
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Trial ordered for Cameo Crispi, accused of...
- Judge postpones ruling in Park City Mountain...
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 44
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 39
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 35
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 29
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22