LDS Church leaders expected at BYU President Kevin Worthen's inauguration Sept. 9
Jaren Wilkey, BYU
PROVO — The last time BYU got a new president, then-LDS Church President Gordon B. Hinckley conducted the inauguration ceremony in front of 20,000 people.
Traditionally, the inauguration includes a charge to the new president given by a member of the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which owns and operates the university. The school's Board of Trustees is comprised entirely of church leaders, who also attend the installation ceremony.
Eleven years ago, President Hinckley charged Cecil O. Samuelson to "enrich scholarship" with religious truth. A BYU press release this week said details about who will give Worthen, Samuelson's successor, his charge will be provided later.
Worthen's inauguration will take place during a campus devotional at 11 a.m. in the Marriott Center on Sept. 9.
Worthen was serving as BYU’s advancement vice president when President Henry B. Eyring, first counselor in the First Presidency, announced on March 11 that Worthen would replace Samuelson.
Worthen previously served as dean of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School. A former Fulbright scholar who clerked for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Byron R. White, Worthen is an expert on federal Indian law.
Worthen is also serving as an Area Seventy of the LDS Church.
- 'Saturday's Warrior' director shares details...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Do you fit the Mormon...
- Who decides if a law restricts a religious...
- LDS missionaries cover David Archuleta's...
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon...
- Temple Square opens 3 new exhibits
- 'Meet the Mormons' now available for...
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's...
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon... 137
- Who decides if a law restricts a... 17
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Do you fit the... 14
- 'Saturday's Warrior' director shares... 11
- The Rohingyas: A look into one of the... 8
- 34 of the most beautiful churches from... 7
- Who are ‘the least of... 5
- Jerry Earl Johnston: I can't move the... 4