LDS Church leaders expected at BYU President Kevin Worthen's inauguration Sept. 9
Jaren Wilkey, BYU
PROVO — The last time BYU got a new president, then-LDS Church President Gordon B. Hinckley conducted the inauguration ceremony in front of 20,000 people.
Traditionally, the inauguration includes a charge to the new president given by a member of the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which owns and operates the university. The school's Board of Trustees is comprised entirely of church leaders, who also attend the installation ceremony.
Eleven years ago, President Hinckley charged Cecil O. Samuelson to "enrich scholarship" with religious truth. A BYU press release this week said details about who will give Worthen, Samuelson's successor, his charge will be provided later.
Worthen's inauguration will take place during a campus devotional at 11 a.m. in the Marriott Center on Sept. 9.
Worthen was serving as BYU’s advancement vice president when President Henry B. Eyring, first counselor in the First Presidency, announced on March 11 that Worthen would replace Samuelson.
Worthen previously served as dean of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School. A former Fulbright scholar who clerked for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Byron R. White, Worthen is an expert on federal Indian law.
Worthen is also serving as an Area Seventy of the LDS Church.
- Faith and fame: Former 'Dancing With the...
- LDS Church outlines how it prevents child...
- New poll finds Americans less likely to keep...
- Up-close view of angel Moroni statue being...
- LDS Church hires assistant church historian...
- The evolution of LDS 'lady missionaries' and...
- Should your boss know that you keep the Sabbath?
- Mormon man's rap album hits No. 1 spot on...
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 47
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Should your boss know that you keep the... 25
- Defending the Faith: Taking a 'Leap of... 24
- New poll finds Americans less likely to... 22
- For Hillary Clinton, church offers a... 18
- The benefits some families see from... 15
- Power of one: BYU grad hopes to help... 8