LDS Church leaders expected at BYU President Kevin Worthen's inauguration Sept. 9
Jaren Wilkey, BYU
PROVO — The last time BYU got a new president, then-LDS Church President Gordon B. Hinckley conducted the inauguration ceremony in front of 20,000 people.
Traditionally, the inauguration includes a charge to the new president given by a member of the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which owns and operates the university. The school's Board of Trustees is comprised entirely of church leaders, who also attend the installation ceremony.
Eleven years ago, President Hinckley charged Cecil O. Samuelson to "enrich scholarship" with religious truth. A BYU press release this week said details about who will give Worthen, Samuelson's successor, his charge will be provided later.
Worthen's inauguration will take place during a campus devotional at 11 a.m. in the Marriott Center on Sept. 9.
Worthen was serving as BYU’s advancement vice president when President Henry B. Eyring, first counselor in the First Presidency, announced on March 11 that Worthen would replace Samuelson.
Worthen previously served as dean of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School. A former Fulbright scholar who clerked for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Byron R. White, Worthen is an expert on federal Indian law.
Worthen is also serving as an Area Seventy of the LDS Church.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin brothers...
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues to...
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better...
- Defending the Faith: When the criticisms of...
- The Clean Cut: Mormon missionary's dance...
- Mormon Media scholars discuss church and...
- Defending the Faith: When the... 131
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 67
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues... 43
- Houston subpoenas sermons in battle... 32
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better... 26
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 16
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 12
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 9