First court dates set for ex-Attorneys General John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The first court dates are now set for former Attorneys General John Swallow and Mark Shurtleff, who were charged this week with racketeering after a sweeping public corruption investigation.
Swallow is scheduled to make his first appearance in 3rd District Court on July 22, while Shurtleff is to appear July 30.
Both hearings will likely be brief. Attorneys will enter their appearances and a judge will offer to read the charges, a formality that defendants often waive. Future court dates will likely be set.
Swallow faces 11 felonies and two misdemeanors, including pattern of unlawful activity, receiving or soliciting a bribe, evidence tampering and making false statements.
Shurtleff is charged with 10 felonies, including pattern of unlawful activity, receiving or soliciting a bribe and accepting employment that would impair judgment.
The two men could spend up to 30 years in prison if convicted. They maintained their innocence and vowed to fight the charges.
Both were arrested at their homes and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on Tuesday. They were released to the supervision of pretrial services in lieu of posting $250,000 bonds. Case managers will monitor them for court appearances and compliance with release conditions.
Shurtleff's release order noted he sometimes travels outside the state for work. The court allowed him to travel so long as he notifies pretrial services of his schedule in advance.
Swallow also received permission from the court to leave the state on a vacation that was planned before his arrest.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: dennisromboy
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- Draper house explodes into flames,...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Deseret News Classic: Marathon, half...
- Levan wildfire burns 'well over 1,000' acres...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 15
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 13