BYU-Idaho students, Rexburg residents embrace opportunities to serve following flood
Warnick’s surprise mirrored that of community members, especially because the weather was clear just an hour before the storm began, and the forecast predicted only a 20 percent chance of rain.
“It hailed four different times,” Warnick said. “I would say about one-third of the houses in my neighborhood got water in their basements.”
The National Weather Service reported 1.15 inches of rain within approximately 45 minutes.
Some areas even got two inches, according to the Doppler radar.
“There are easily hundreds of thousands of dollars of damage because of all the remodeling people have to do,” Warnick said.
Although many residential areas were water-logged, Warnick said the selflessness he saw in the surrounding neighborhoods made him proud to be a part of the service-oriented community.
“A young man who lives four doors up from us came and knocked on our door and asked if we were OK. Come to find out, his home and his grandparents home were flooded, but he was immediately looking out for others,” Warnick said. “Also, one of my other neighbors who is a farmer lost two-thirds of his crops, but he still went around seeing what he could do for other people.”
Despite the property damage, Zachary Lee said Rexburg is in good shape.
“Even though there’s still clean up to do, I can tell the city is going to get back up on its feet really quick,” Lee said.
Megan Marsden Christensen writes for the Faith and Family sections. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- Arizona mom makes Halloween costumes a fun...
- LDS couple with triplets expecting twins:...
- Days before deadline, brain cancer victim may...
- Top 10 money mistakes new parents make
- Marriage isn’t about romance
- Marvel Studios unveils next 11 movies, from...
- The Clean Cut: 'Studio C' releases 3 'Hunger...
- Forget about feelings, real love is a...
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 37
- West Jordan boy loses battle with... 15
- Marriage isn’t about romance 13
- Parental complaints result in racy... 11
- Days before deadline, brain cancer... 11
- LDS couple with triplets expecting... 8
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love/hate... 6
- When parents are desensitized, what... 6