Debbie Baldwin said her mother-in-law was already living a lifestyle mostly in line with LDS teachings. The only thing she had to give up was the two sips of coffee she used to drink every morning.
"I always felt like I was a Mormon," Madeline Baldwin said. "I just felt like I belonged there all the time."
Once she had made the decision, the only obstacle to her joining the church was her fear of water.
"She was scared to death to be baptized, (because) she's afraid of the water," Debbie Baldwin said. "She was just horrified."
"The thing I was most worried about was that she would be flailing around when we tried to baptize her," Mike Baldwin said. "But it went smooth just smooth as silk, like she was a little child almost."
He said they hope to get her to the temple next year.
"I'd say I have a wonderful family," Madeline Baldwin said. "And now that I am a Mormon, I feel that we'll all be together. And that's what makes me feel good. And I think that makes (Ralph) feel good, too, that we'll all be together."
Michael Baldwin said his grandmother's story has a valuable lesson for all.
"I think it's a good example of how Heavenly Father looks out for all his children, whether you are members (of the LDS faith) or not," he said. "He kind of guides you to the truth. It's not ever too late to change."
Erica Palmer is a writer for the Mormon Times and Features department. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- Well-prepared Scouts rescue couple off Mount...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- Comic: Overcome with the spirit
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 51
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 7
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Hindu festival celebrates birth of Lord... 2