Debbie Baldwin said her mother-in-law was already living a lifestyle mostly in line with LDS teachings. The only thing she had to give up was the two sips of coffee she used to drink every morning.
"I always felt like I was a Mormon," Madeline Baldwin said. "I just felt like I belonged there all the time."
Once she had made the decision, the only obstacle to her joining the church was her fear of water.
"She was scared to death to be baptized, (because) she's afraid of the water," Debbie Baldwin said. "She was just horrified."
"The thing I was most worried about was that she would be flailing around when we tried to baptize her," Mike Baldwin said. "But it went smooth just smooth as silk, like she was a little child almost."
He said they hope to get her to the temple next year.
"I'd say I have a wonderful family," Madeline Baldwin said. "And now that I am a Mormon, I feel that we'll all be together. And that's what makes me feel good. And I think that makes (Ralph) feel good, too, that we'll all be together."
Michael Baldwin said his grandmother's story has a valuable lesson for all.
"I think it's a good example of how Heavenly Father looks out for all his children, whether you are members (of the LDS faith) or not," he said. "He kind of guides you to the truth. It's not ever too late to change."
Erica Palmer is a writer for the Mormon Times and Features department. Email: email@example.com
- LDS Church clarifies position on...
- 19 inspiring Christmas quotes from President...
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- LDS World: Jesus Christ is the solution
- How would LDS be affected by renewed US-Cuba...
- 'American Idol' alum Brooke White creates...
- Defending the Faith: A modern witness... 44
- How would LDS be affected by renewed... 27
- LDS Church to create new missions in... 20
- Christmas without Jesus 19
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 16
- Visiting minister urges unity among... 10
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey... 8